Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Picks to win NFL Divisions

A buddy and I have a series of NFL bets going, one of which is to pick the winners of each division. I would like to hear some thoughts on some of the tougher divisions such as the AFC west or the NFC North.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Picks to win NFL Divisions

[ QUOTE ]
A buddy and I have a series of NFL bets going, one of which is to pick the winners of each division. I would like to hear some thoughts on some of the tougher divisions such as the AFC west or the NFC North.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFC North
I have the Panthers going to the Super Bowl. Delhomme is underrated (2004: 3886 yds, 29 TDs, 15 INTs ... this after Steve Smith missed most of the season), DeShaun Foster is back healthy and their D is nasty. Also remember that the Falcons have NEVER had back-to-back winning seasons in the franchises history.

AFC West
I can't add any insight here.

Greg H.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:35 PM

Last time I looked Carolina was in the NFC South....
It kills me to say Minnesota will win the NFC North.
AFC West will be San Diego. LT will be unstoppable this year!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:23 AM

The NFC North looks like a no brainer in Minnesota. Green Bay is going to be down this year. Chicago has already lost their starting QB for much of the season. Detroit has an outside chance if Harrington can finally come of age, Garcia is not an answer.

AFC West is tougher. Denver is always solid, I don't see why not this year. KC has potential, but still no defense. Raiders, you never know. But, I'll stick with San Diego. Last year was no fluke. SD is solid all around and has the best chance to pull out of this years divisional dogfight.

Here's the SD schedule:
Sep 11 Dallas 4:15pm
Sep 18 @Denver 4:15pm
Sep 25 N.Y. Giants 8:30pm
Oct 2 @New England 1:00pm
Oct 10 Pittsburgh 9:00pm
Oct 16 @Oakland 4:15pm
Oct 23 @Philadelphia 1:00pm
Oct 30 Kansas City 4:05pm
Nov 6 @N.Y. Jets 1:00pm
Week 10 BYE
Nov 20 Buffalo 4:15pm
Nov 27 @Washington 1:00pm
Dec 4 Oakland 8:30pm
Dec 11 Miami 4:15pm
Dec 18 @Indianapolis 1:00pm
Dec 24 @Kansas City 1:00pm
Dec 31 Denver 4:30pm

Some tough road games, but at least they aren't playing at Denver, NYJ or NE in December. If they can split on the road, a home sweep is feasible. They'll probably end up 11-5 or 10-6 just eeking out the division on tiebreakers. The last game against Denver might be essentially a playoff game. When's the last time Denver has won a playoff game?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:53 AM

My Picks are:
NFC EAST: Eagles
WEST: Rams
NORTH: Vikings
South: Panthers

AFC EAST: Patriots
WEST: Chiefs
NORTH: Ravens
South: Colts

I would not put money on all these teams just who I think will probably win the divisions.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 AM

AFC West
I've been back and forth on this division, but now that it looks like Antonio Gates will be in camp I'm starting to really like the Bolts. Tomlinson is just a stud and if he stays healthy will have a big year. McCardell has really helped the offense out a lot and it even looks like Drew Brees has that same confidence in the preseason. Thier defensde keeps getting better and better and I think is really turning into a strength like most Wade Philips defenses do.

NFC North

This is a really tough division to handicap. The Packers lost both guards and look like they are going to have a hard time running the ball, leaving things open for Farvre to make more mistakes. They do open with a pretty easy first half of the year. The second half includes games at Philly, at Atlanta and at Baltimore.

The Vikings just don't look as good to me as everyone thinks the are. Their offense looks weaker to me. I think Burrelson will struggle when teams are actually paying attention to him. Culpepper is a good QB, but defensive players are learning that it is really easy to make him fumble. Mike Tice is their coach. They seem set on starting Michael Bennett over the much more talented Mewelde Moore. With their schedule I still see them as an 8-8, 7-9 team.

The Lions have great potential. Their offense is stacked with good young players. Their defense has really inproved. The biggest problem is how healthy will they be? And will they just not live up to expectations like they don't every year. They have a mediocre schedule with some tough home games against Baltimore, Atlanta and Arizona. Plus they have to go to Green Bay in December.

The Bears have a great defense and a horrible offense. I really think all they need is a quarterback who make no mistakes and just grinds the clock away. I'm not sure they have that on the roster and Chad Hutchenson just keeps turning the ball over and you just see that look on the defense's face. The "Great...looks like we have to try and win this by ourselves" look. The only thing the Bears really have going for them is a very easy opening schedule.
at Washington
Detroit
Cincinnati
BYE WEEK
at Cleveland
Minnesota
Baltimore
at Detroit
at New Orleans
San Francisco
Old 08-23-2005, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the help guys here are my current picks
NFC North
Lions
NFC South
ATL
NFC West
This is tough - but i think the rams
NFC East
Cowboys ( im crazy - know)
AFC North
Ravens (have them in the superbowl)
AFC South
Colts
AFC WEST
San Diego
AFC East
Jets

NFC wildcard teams
Panthers and Vikes
AFC wildcard teams
KC and Pittsburg
Old 08-23-2005, 07:12 PM

NFC North = Detroit

AFC West = Chargers

SHIP IT
Old 08-23-2005, 10:52 PM

the chiefs are probably not even the second best team in their division
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the chiefs are probably not even the second best team in their division

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm expecting a pretty good year out of the Chiefs. Their defense really seems improved this year. Derrick Johnson is an absolute animal. The secondary is old, but if they stay healthy they should be pretty good. Probably 9-7, 10-6 which could be first or second in that division.