Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Flopping a monster

Long story short...
3/6 B&M game last night. Me, 7 loose-passives and 2 loose-aggressives (including SB).

4 limpers, called from button with A2s. SB raised, 5 callers, I call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7 players/14 SB)

No one bets the flop.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 players/6.5 BB)

Check, check, check, bet, call, call, Hero calls, SB calls, fold, fold.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players/11.5 BB)
Check, check, bet, Hero calls (with his read on SB), SB raises, fold, fold, call, Hero 3-bets, call, call.

20.5 BB with flopped quads.

It'll be forever before I see a hand like this so...

When do you show strength if you have a monster in a hand where the bets are coming from middle position?

If SB or even BB had bet the turn, I'd have raised from the button because I've got the field trapped. But in a call-and-pray festival like this game, I didn't want to knock out half the field with a raise on the turn. Especially since if something lower than a T comes on the river, there's no action on the river (without JJ, QQ or KK, which should've shown themselves on the turn).
Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Flopping a monster

doesn't really matter as even if you folded the flop it won't a have a meaningful impact on your winrate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 06:14 PM

DO you have a more specific read on SB? Has he checked through flops like this before? I hate the free card on the flop, but a c/r trapping the field would have been sweet. PLus you would still get action from someone turning a full house. This looks good, you cleaned up on the river.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 PM

I will agree that it's not really productive to debate how to play flopped quads. But you can't say you don't have to learn how play when you flop a monster. SSHE talks about it in a number of spots.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DO you have a more specific read on SB? Has he checked through flops like this before? I hate the free card on the flop, but a c/r trapping the field would have been sweet. PLus you would still get action from someone turning a full house. This looks good, you cleaned up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB is one of the loose-aggressives. He's been betting at unwanted pots and making strange river raises (2nd pair vs. obvious strength) as well as normal aggressive river raises when he believes his opponent is weak. He went 3 bets with just TPGK, and forced his opponent to show a wired underpair. He raised from the SB vs. 6 limpers w/AJo, raised UTG with 33 and raised from middle position with K9s and late position with Q7.

I'm wondering why you hate the free card on the flop? At the time I felt it was best because (though probably no one was paying attention) I was playing very tight relative to the rest of the table (around 20% if I had to guess). I also figured it would limit my action in the double rounds.

I couldn't get a check-raise because I was on the button. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. My best case would have been SB filling up on the turn card instead of the river.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 PM

Raise preflop. If I limped, I would have limp raised SB.