Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Should I get DSL?

I'm not really sure what's good or bad about DSL but I've always had cable internet. Now, comcast is gonna start charging me about $45 a month for it in a month or so, up from the current $20 I pay. I saw a special for SBC yahoo DSL in my area which is cheaper and comes with a phone line (I don't have one, I use my cell phone). A couple of people have told me that DSL is a lot worse since it goes through a phone line. But I really don't download that much...I just play poker, do work, and browse the internet. So it really going to make a difference for me? Basically, two things I'm concerned about: first, is the DSL streaming such that I won't any interruptions while I play and second, will most sites load instantly as they do with cable? Thanks for any input.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Should I get DSL?

You probably wouldnt be able to tell a difference unless you are really far from the gnode. Find out if any of your neighbors have dsl or head on over to dslreports.com and search for reviews or check their forum.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:39 PM

the speed won't be an issue.
i'm still on dial-up at home and it works fine for multi-tabling.

the reliability of the connection would be your only problem.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:57 PM

i have had DSL for 3/4 of a year and have never had a disconnect due to a problem on my end. (at two sites, one disconnects, the other is fine.)
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 PM

DSL is streaming. SBC offers two speeds of DSL. I have the faster one and every webpage loads instantly. My download speed is fast too, usually over 100k.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 PM

Where did you see the part about not needing a phone line? I also just use a cell phone, and this was the reason I never looked into DSL. I checked ther FAQ's on the web page, but it says that they split your existing phone line. Also keep in mind that if you have Comcast cable TV, they usually give a bundle discount, so if you cancel your internet they are likely to gouge you even harder on the cable bill.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 PM

Sounds good to me. SBC also told me that there's some speed (I don't know what that is...I didn't ask) that they guarantee, which I guess is good. And by the way Microbob, I think I'm a little too spoiled in this sense to switch down to dial up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you see the part about not needing a phone line? I also just use a cell phone, and this was the reason I never looked into DSL. I checked ther FAQ's on the web page, but it says that they split your existing phone line. Also keep in mind that if you have Comcast cable TV, they usually give a bundle discount, so if you cancel your internet they are likely to gouge you even harder on the cable bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that a phone line IS needed for DSL and FWIW, I wouldn't mind having a land line because I'm so fed up with Verizon, how I have 6 bars outside but can't get more than 2 bars in my apartment; I also get dropped calls quite often. For times when I have to be on hold somewhere or speaking with someone important, I think it'd be good to have a land line, which is another reason why I'm considering switching.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that a phone line IS needed for DSL and FWIW, I wouldn't mind having a land line because I'm so fed up with Verizon, how I have 6 bars outside but can't get more than 2 bars in my apartment; I also get dropped calls quite often. For times when I have to be on hold somewhere or speaking with someone important, I think it'd be good to have a land line, which is another reason why I'm considering switching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I see. Oh well I just tried entering a phone number in my area, and the service isn't available here yet anyhow. I guess its too rural here 20 miles from Boston.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:11 PM

Make sure that you've got phone line protection from lightning surges, copper takes a lot of electricity and DSL modems and switches can pass enough shock into a home network to break components.