Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Stone Cold Bluff

Ok, first of all let me explain, I normally NEVER stone cold bluff. I only did it here since I smelt weakness, I wanted to show it to loosen up my table image and because I was running good so had a lot of confidence.

Was playing with the villian for about 80 hands at the time. I was playing my usual 19/5/2 style, but hadnt picked up any huge hands on this table, but villian hopefully still sees me as solid. Villian was 42/15/2.3 and just pretty LAGgy in general, but not a terrible player, not a great one either though!

Full Tilt .5/1 blinds 9way

hero ($97.5)
villian(87.3)

1 limper to hero in button, hero limps A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], villian raises to $3 from the button, folded to hero who calls.

Flop ($8.5): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

hero checks, villian bets $5, hero calls

Turn ($18.5): K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero checks, villian bets $8, hero raises to $25, villian calls

River ($68.5): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero pushes for $64.5, villian folds.

hero shows his cards

Firstly let me explain that I thought he missed the flop, so i flat called to take it away from him on the turn, then when the K fell, I thought this might've helped him, but he bet so small, I had to take a stab. I felt on the river it was close whether to give it up or not.

Like or hate?

what would you call river with in villian's position?

it it worthwile to make these plays or not?

should i make them with position or OOP, so I can get 1st bet in on river?

What do you think villian has?
Old 12-25-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Stone Cold Bluff

Ok, first of all let me explain, I normally NEVER stone cold bluff. I only did it here since I smelt weakness, I wanted to show it to loosen up my table image and because I was running good so had a lot of confidence.

Buy-in for max. 100bb.

This bluff is -ev.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:18 AM

Flush draw and pair?

BTW I dont like the play. It is not worthwhile to do this, and is not profitable at small stakes. There is not much of a reason to get involved in that flop. BTW I "Stone Cold Bluff" all the time. At pots that no one has shown an interest in, in position. And I never fire 3 barrels.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:03 AM

Even though everyone hates it, it takes guts. I've been actually thinking about plays like this...and how likely it it is for someone to fold. I mean you're pretty much playing exactly like you hit a set. And how often does villain have 2 pair or better? The power of the all-in is scary, I made 2 folds to bluffs last night...w/ top pair and an overpair. You just don't know...if you're opponent doesn't have at least 2 pair, they're very likely to fold (as long as they're not calling stations).
Old 12-25-2005, 10:01 AM

If I had a nickle for every time a SSHE player folded an overpair I might be able to scrape together a quarter. BTW I dont play a set like that...
Old 12-25-2005, 11:59 AM

besides
him calling that turn ......
scary.

his call = proceed with MUCH CAUTION!!!!
unless he's into the "call-scare" tactics..
Old 12-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Big bluff like this = -EV over the long run. Glad this one worked out for you though.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though everyone hates it, it takes guts. I've been actually thinking about plays like this...and how likely it it is for someone to fold. I mean you're pretty much playing exactly like you hit a set. And how often does villain have 2 pair or better? The power of the all-in is scary, I made 2 folds to bluffs last night...w/ top pair and an overpair. You just don't know...if you're opponent doesn't have at least 2 pair, they're very likely to fold (as long as they're not calling stations).

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason sets are so profitable--especially at these stakes--is becuase people can't fold.

I tried a move similar to this the other day. A "solid" player on the button raised. I had limped in EP and called with JTs. The flop came out J high. I bet he called. Becuase of the board and his raise (i play with him all the time) i knew he had an overpair or AJ. I check raised all in on a non scary turn--representing a set or two pair--he autocalls with AJ. I didnt put the stack sizes or his stats, but trust me he had to call off a ton of chips as we both had about 150-175bb, I have NEVER done this that he has seen without a set--he autocalls with AJ like it was nothing.

These plays are not profitable at this level.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta totally disagree with this. When someone makes a big bet or all-in like this it screams "please don't call me." If you really do hit a set then you want to induce a call, not force the person to fold. In the long run this kind of play is defintely -ev...the op just got lucky this time.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:43 PM

this is very bad. You got lucky.