Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Default first hand at table - play hard or let go?

1st hand I am dealt at this table..no reads [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

is it better to always push with good hands - or is it better to sit and wait an orbit or two to start figuring out your opponents a little first.

I'm guessing that a more correct line is to fold this on the flop and to wait for a more premium hand.. (?)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($23.95)
UTG ($32.50)
Hero ($50)
MP1 ($41.20)
MP2 ($47.65)
MP3 (Villain)/ ($61.65)
CO ($45.05)
Button ($51)
SB ($50.55)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (Villain)/ calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Villain calls $6, BB folds, UTG folds.

OK so I've missed the flop and landed a gutshot draw - I raised PF so I think a PSR might take it down here and if it doesn't the turn might give me a monster. As this is a semi bluff would a smaller raise work (?)

Turn: ($20.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Villain calls $15.

the J is a bad card for me - if the turn was a blank I'd have given up and laid ths down - now I have MP and an Overcard and 7 outs - I did think that Villain might have laid it down if I fire barrel number 2..

River: ($50.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

I read Villain for junk - though there's a good chance he has Top 2 pair - or a goofy 2 pair J7 maybe - he's playing like a calling station so I doubt he'll throw his hand away even if I push the river . Because he's playing this hand passively I don't think he has a straight...
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: first hand at table - play hard or let go?

1st hand at table and you post from UTG+1 and then raise oop with ajs? First thing I would suggest is waiting for the big blind and or folding that hand... not trying to be rude but the idea is that we should be trying to eliminate mistakes from our game.... but if we make those 2 mistakes what do we do post flop...

I don't like c betting with a 10 or K on board against more than one player... and here you are doing it against 3 players with no reads... check fold is my play here.

turn bet being called shows you are way behind at this point and should give up on the hand... they probably have the AQ and can slowplay since no flush threat. I expect that they value bet the river for about a little less than 1/2 pot and you folded.

Guin
Old 11-28-2005, 01:47 PM

don't post UTG+1

with the limper in, i'd check it and hope to see a cheap flop.

if you're going to raise, make it more...4.5BB to go would be a pot-sized raise.

after raising, the continuation bet is fine.

with no read (on whether this opponent will fold to a second barrel), i'd check the turn and fold to a bet. if he checks behind, i may block the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st hand I am dealt at this table..no reads [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

is it better to always push with good hands - or is it better to sit and wait an orbit or two to start figuring out your opponents a little first.

<font color="red"> A premium hand is a premium hand. I say play 'em when u got 'em. </font>

Flop: ($8.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Villain calls $6, BB folds, UTG folds.

OK so I've missed the flop and landed a gutshot draw - I raised PF so I think a PSR might take it down here and if it doesn't the turn might give me a monster. As this is a semi bluff would a smaller raise work (?)

<font color="red">I like the raise here. A half pot sized raise will frequently take it down for you.
</font>

Turn: ($20.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Villain calls $15.

the J is a bad card for me - if the turn was a blank I'd have given up and laid ths down - now I have MP and an Overcard and 7 outs - I did think that Villain might have laid it down if I fire barrel number 2..

<font color="red"> This is a tough card for you. A check/call might have been another line and gotten you a free card...
</font>

<font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> River: ($50.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

I read Villain for junk - though there's a good chance he has Top 2 pair - or a goofy 2 pair J7 maybe - he's playing like a calling station so I doubt he'll throw his hand away even if I push the river . Because he's playing this hand passively I don't think he has a straight...

[/ QUOTE ]

You had no reads on this guy right? I think he has top pair or two pair. I doubt he would fold to a bet so I check/fold here...next hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 PM

I much rather prefer a check preflop. AJsuited is a very tricky hand to play OOP, and you don't want to be playing it in a raised pot with people behind you and no reads. Typically, better aces will call when you raise here and worse ones will fold, although you raised too small of an amount. After the flop call I figure villain for a K. So I check/fold turn, or lead for 1/3 on the river since villain seems too passive to reraise even a small bet.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough card for you. A check/call might have been another line and gotten you a free card...

[/ QUOTE ]

it improves my hand a little - but drops 3 to a straight on the board - my thinking here was that my Pot sized bet here represents AQ - and unless Villain can beat that hand they cannot call - assuming our Villain is a reasonable player and is paying attention of course. If I check the turn and am raised I either fold or push all-in (with no reads I'd be folding for sure and I'd feel lots more comfortable folding to a reraise than a pot sized bet which is what I think Villain will throw at me if I check it to him...)
Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 PM

yeah it improves your hand and if the guy was on OESD for some loose ass reason. then it also increases your lead... but if hes reasonable.. its hard to say.. coming into a table with guns blazing is one way for a callingstation to get rich.. remmeber that..
Old 11-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Check fold the flop. Against three players with two cards in the "playing zone" on the flop it's very unlikely you are ahead here.