Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Calling pushes in the end game

I was just wondering what people had to say about calling requirements during the bubble/itm period of a tournament. I mean of course you should be looking for a premium hand but if you have a bigger stack should you loosen up your calling requirments so that a) people are less willing to push against you and b) you have the chips necessary to gamble even when you aren't getting the greatest odds. I have two hands here I was wondering what people have to say about them and what they would do.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (3 handed) converter

BB (t4815)
Button (t4450)
Hero (t4235)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t4400</font>

Now here is a little murkier situation and I was wondering what people would do here as well

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t2730)
Button (t3075)
SB (t1730)
Hero (t5965)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1705</font>,

Are these both auto folds? I'll post what I did later if anybody cares.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Calling pushes in the end game

I'd fold both of these, but push if I got in first.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:09 PM

The end game is very read dependent. It would depend on my opponenets style. If they are playing tight, then I fold and steal. If they are playing loose aggressive then I may take a stand. Hand 1 with 55 you are at best a coin flip at worst a 4:1 dog. I'd fold and steal. With KT I may or may not call. You might be dominated, it may be a coin flip, or he may be pulling a move on you with nothing. As the big stack sometimes I make this call to keep them honest. Let them know that you will call them. It won't do much damage to you and even if you lose you still have the lead and can get the money back by stealing.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:37 PM

2nd hand is a very EZ fold.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:55 PM

I'd fold both. In hand one, as pointed out, you're at best a slight favorite while you could be a big dog. In situation two if the SB is super loose and had been pushing every time it passed to him I'd consider it, but if you lose you're letting him back into the game and could get knocked out. Right now you're a dead lock to make it ITM and can afford to wait for chances where you're the clear favorite.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:14 PM

Hand 1 is a fold, but Hand 2 is a call against a good, aggressive SB. SB should be pushing a pretty large range of hands here. KT will easily win you chips on average here. You also get a chance to eliminate someone immediately, whereas if you lose you are not even close to crippled. There is also some advertising value here - people will think you will call pushes with KT, even though if you lose you probably won't do it again in the new situation.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 is a fold, but Hand 2 is a call against a good, aggressive SB. SB should be pushing a pretty large range of hands here. KT will easily win you chips on average here. You also get a chance to eliminate someone immediately, whereas if you lose you are not even close to crippled. There is also some advertising value here - people will think you will call pushes with KT, even though if you lose you probably won't do it again in the new situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If ITM, i usually call with any pocket pair. gamble for 1st...

Or is this a leak in my game??

why is Hand1 a fold???
Old 02-07-2005, 12:31 AM

If with AA here, I think that Hand 1 is a call three-handed. Someone brilliant on here said, "Be satisfied with 3rd, gamble for 1st." This is it. In all-in situations I like hands that don't need to improve to be a winner, but if they improve are huge, like any pair and any ace.

I also call with Hand 2. I'm the chip leader, the call does not hurt my chances of finishing ITM if I lose, but does a great deal towards giving me the win. My stack will still be big enough to, pretty much, steal at will, especially 4-handed. It will also serve notice to the rest of the table that I will not be pushed around. If you fold here, what do you call with? Any ace? Any pair? Any suited king or queen? SB's range is too big to play this tight with such a big stack. What good is a big stick if you're not going to swing it?

This may very well be wrong, but I've decided that if I go down, I'm going to go down aggressively.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've decided that if I go down, I'm going to go down aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, that's why I'd rather push with xx than call with KT. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I see very few pushing hands you aren't a dog against. I'd rather get an outrageous bluff called down than take one in the chest playing sheriff.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've decided that if I go down, I'm going to go down aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, that's why I'd rather push with xx than call with KT. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I see very few pushing hands you aren't a dog against. I'd rather get an outrageous bluff called down than take one in the chest playing sheriff.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, Atticus, welcome to the board. I can tell that you're going to be a good one to have around. Secondly, I completely understand your argument for folding equity.

I just think that 3-handed you are going to have to call an all-in at some point and I think that 55 is just as good a point as any. I disagree with you here, I think that there are only 9 pushing hands that you are an underdog against, and the range of pushing hands here is much, much, bigger than 9.

As far as Hand 2, even if you lose you still have a 1200 chip lead which still preserves that valuable folding equity. You can make those chips back very easily.