Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Set hits ... small stack all in w/ caller...now what

Poker.com $25NL, .10/25 blinds...10 handed

Hero has about $15
SB is short-stacked (about $5)
EP(villain) has about $25

Hero is in MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
1 limper
EP raises to $1
1 caller
hero calls
small blind calls

Flop: ($3) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Small blind goes ALL-IN for $3
EP calls $3
Hero ???

Pot is now $9, and hero has $14 left or so.

What should I do here? (see results for my decision)

(a) PUSH.
Why I liked this play: 2 broadways on the board and a big card are always a little dangerous, and there's lots of money in the pot. I can probably isolate w/ the SB.

(b) CALL and try to draw more money out of the villain(EP), who might have called the $3 only because the player was short-stacked and desparate.
What I like about this:
- no flush draws on the board, though the straight draw is somewhat out there
- I might be able to get a few more dollars out of SB

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 AM

Default RESULTS

Hero pushes, and EP folds.

SB shows AJ for 2 pair, is heavily dominated, and MHIG.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Pretty easy push here, I'd say. I think if villain is going to call off any more chips, he'll most likely do it on the flop (where he can see 2 more cards getting 2-1 odds on your push). If you call, and push the turn, he'll probably only call with only one card to come when he has improved his hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Set hits ... small stack all in w/ caller...now what

Hero calls and gets AK,AQ,AJ to pay him off on later streets.

Btw, don't sit there with $15, look at all the money you're losing
Old 12-07-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty easy push here, I'd say. I think if villain is going to call off any more chips, he'll most likely do it on the flop (where he can see 2 more cards getting 2-1 odds on your push). If you call, and push the turn, he'll probably only call with only one card to come when he has improved his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's no way that's the thought process of a $25NL player. Villain will not care about his odds, or the number of cards to come, he'll only see a big raise after an all-in and a call and think: this guy seems to like his hand, maybe top pair isn't good. I still think he'll call with AK and AJ and maybe even AQ, but why give him a chance?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 AM

I think flat calling is scarier than pushing. If I am vaillan and see a flat call on that board, I'm not putting another cent in if I am villan. A push looks more like a vulnerable TP hand while FC looks bigger.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think flat calling is scarier than pushing. If I am vaillan and see a flat call on that board, I'm not putting another cent in if I am villan. A push looks more like a vulnerable TP hand while FC looks bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think flat calling is a lot scarier too, but I'm not villain and i doubt villain thinks like me
Old 12-07-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's no way that's the thought process of a $25NL player. Villain will not care about his odds, or the number of cards to come, he'll only see a big raise after an all-in and a call and think: this guy seems to like his hand, maybe top pair isn't good. I still think he'll call with AK and AJ and maybe even AQ, but why give him a chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

You grossly underestimate the average 25nl player. A fair amount know about pot odds/#cards to come etc. Many more will have at least a slightly intuitive grasp of these concepts. Everyone knows two cards to come is better than one. Dont underestimate your opponents, concentrate on playing correctly.

OP, easy push. The villian is obviously not looking for much action, based on his smooth call of the allin. Sucks you wont get paid but there are very few turns that will improve the villian so that hell call a push there. Might as well put it in on the flop.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You grossly underestimate the average 25nl player. A fair amount know about pot odds/#cards to come etc. Many more will have at least a slightly intuitive grasp of these concepts. Everyone knows two cards to come is better than one. Dont underestimate your opponents, concentrate on playing correctly.

OP, easy push. The villian is obviously not looking for much action, based on his smooth call of the allin. Sucks you wont get paid but there are very few turns that will improve the villian so that hell call a push there. Might as well put it in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no "playing correctly" in poker (I think we can agree to that) if you don't understand your villain. Unless the games have changed imensly since I left $25NL the average player will pay you off on the turn and river with TPTK.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no "playing correctly" in poker (I think we can agree to that) if you don't understand your villain. Unless the games have changed imensly since I left $25NL the average player will pay you off on the turn and river with TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understanding your opponent and making broad statements that 25nl players will not care about pot odds are different. Obviously there is a fair amount of ignorence and stupidity at the 25 nl tables. But assuming your opponent will disregard pot odds or number of cards to come is also ignorant and stupid.