Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Kings under Pressure

Villain has about $20k I have about 7k
5-5 live nl game Late position with KcKh 3 limpers to me, I make it 30 to go (standard first raise). Good aggro LAG in EP raises to 150. I call.
Flop comes 8h2h5c. Checked to me, I bet 400. Lag raises to 800, I call. Turn is another heart. Lag bets 3000, I call. River is a rag non heart. Lag pushes. My action?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Kings under Pressure

I think the key to this hand is your turn play. If the LAG is known to put on this type of pressure(flop c/r) with a bluff, draw or marginal holding I would push the turn. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to smoothcall 50% of your stack then let him push you off the hand if a scare card comes on the river.

If the LAG has been playing reasonably solid postflop then maybe I would cut my losses and muster up a fold on the turn.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:32 PM

I'd rather have seen you push on the turn. The only hand you're dead to is AhAx, and I'll pay that hand off when he's got it.

- C -
Old 05-06-2005, 04:08 PM

Youre kidding right? I wont comment on the earlier parts of the hand but you cant possible be thinking of folding the river can you?

The pot is what? Almost $8000 and you have $3100 or something like that left? You cant fold now.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:15 PM

After calling that turn bet you have to call this because of the amount in the pot and what you have left.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:00 PM

I would appreciate comments on all streets. Also what would you put the villain on?
Thank you
Old 05-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Are you seriously sitting in a game with 1400 and 4000 BB stacks? It seems crazy to me to play with such deep stacks.

I think the turn is decision time. Why are you flat-calling here? You know you are PC'ing both you and villain with this call, so you need to decide now if you want to go all the way with this one. It's push or fold time, and I personally don't want to play this hand for 1400BB's. There is a flush possibility, villain has been relentless and isn't afraid of you at all, and you have a lonely pair of Kings. Yes, you have the heart draw on the turn, and if he had bet only 2K then I think a push is warranted, but he isn't laying this down now to your push so I think it is time for you to lay it down.

Nobody likes to "wait for a better spot", but I think I can find a better one than this. The key is your read of "Good aggro LAG", not "total maniac" or just plain LAG. Maybe I'm weak here, but I let this one go.

-T
Old 05-06-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you seriously sitting in a game with 1400 and 4000 BB stacks? It seems crazy to me to play with such deep stacks.
./quote]why is that crazy? fold to the flop CR. fold on the turn easily for 3k. call the river getting 4:1 or something i guess... he probably has AA.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:35 PM

I'm not used to playing with stacks this deep - so this is my thought process...

I like the call before the flop, as to commit, you really need to flop something great. I don't want to play a huge pot here unless I know the guy will go crazy with hands worse then KK w/ 1 pair. I'd also consider a reraise PF if it won't give away too much info. If he'll be able to put you on AA/KK, then I like the call.

On the flop, I would seriously consider checking behind him. Who limp-reraises then checks? He is going to CR you a great majority of the time and you really don't want to play a rediculous pot with him.

I would make pot-control my #1 priority here and play SUPER cautiously. If he checked on the turn, I probably bet something and call a smallish CR, then call a bet on the river with hopefully a read - and if beat, only losing less than a 4th of my stack. I play a small pot here - use my position to do it.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:47 PM

Your decision for this hand seems to be on the turn. What do you think his hand range is here? If you think you are ahead I don't think you should raise now and let him off the hook. It's possible that he is pressuring you with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]X and might call while you are still ahead.... but it's hard to know his hand range since all I know is that he is "LAG".

However, if you are calling the turn, I think you have to call the river. You weren't just peeling for your K-high flush draw were you? Nothing has really changed on the river and if you were ahead then turn you are still ahead now.