Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Guitar

the band site won't load for me
Old 04-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: What are you the best at?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who this "spaceman" Bryce is, but Brian Davis and I are clearly the best Magic players on 2+2 unless someone I don't know about is lurking. ZeeJustin was never that successful at magic, but certainly put in less effort than Brian and I. There are poker players who are better than both me and Brian at Magic, but they don't post on 2+2 except very rarely.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didnt know magic pros posted here.I obviously suck compared to you guys...you're chris pikula?Yup the only pros I ever played against were mike turian and matt place. and gadiel in some sidegames.WHERES JON FINKEL?(you know i have to ask)
Old 04-28-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what activity are you better at than everyone else at 2+2

[/ QUOTE ]

It's lame, but I expect that not very many of you have any idea what my job entails.

I obtain marketing authorization for medical devices worldwide. You've heard of the FDA. Most countries have an FDA-equivalent. It's my job to convince the authorities that the devices my firm manufactures are safe and effective. We make digital mammography systems, bone densitometers, fluoroscopes, software devices, and other medical imaging equipment.

So, lame as it is, I'm probably the best 2+2er at this.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Guitar

hmm....just tried the link and it loads fine...can you go to the main purevolume.com site?

oh and the times listed refer to the mission-less soldiers song...
Old 04-28-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minesweeper.
Beginner: 5 (I know several people have beat this)
Intermediate: 33
Expert: 98 (Broke 100 three weeks ago)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry: 2, 21, 81 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2 and the 81 I can see (actually, several people I've talked have cleared the beginner's board with one click) ... that intermediate 21 is mind-boggling, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Minesweeper times are 3, 28, 95

The World Records are: 1, 10, 41

The Minesweeper Videos are really cool. Make sure to download the codec.

I'm sure I'm the best at these video games for N64:
Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire.

I'm somewhat certain I'm the best at these:
MarioKart 64 and Super Monkey Ball

And I'll just assume I have the biggest music collection on 2+2. I'll also assume I have the biggest TV and movie collection too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am actually still listed at that site as one of the top scorers. I was top 100 a couple years back when I sent in my scores (70/18/3), but I dropped down to 172. Oh well. I am one of the few people listed there that just by the first name "Doug".

I'm 2 seconds better now than I was 2 years ago - 69/17/3 (which would push me up to 134). But I play much less than I used to, and I haven't even broken 75/20/4 in the past year or so.

I am also probably top 10 in the world for people who play WITHOUT EVER flagging.
Someone on the site claims to have gotten 120 seconds playing Expert with 149(!) mines. I find that completely mind-boggling - maybe even better than the 40~ish second times on regular expert. It'd take me a month of playing 5 hours a day probably to even FINISH a game of expert with 149 mines.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:28 PM

I think I can scratch my own balls better than anyone on 2+2.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Running

[/ QUOTE ]
whats your mile time?

[/ QUOTE ]

My PB is 4:27. Can anyone top that?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C) 6D. I hate these sorts of problems. It's all a matter of agreements. Bridge is not a guessing contest. But I presume that partner could've shown shortness in hearts directly after 1S and since he cannot be missing cuebids in both minors, I take it as he has the goodies in hearts. My 6D is meant to be "Ok hearts, diamond-cuebid, no club-cuebid"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, partner could have shown shortage immediately over 1S. BWS is a consensus system. In effect, you are answering these questions as if you were playing in an "individual" with a BWS partner. My own preferences include multi-tiered coded splinters, where you can distinguish among strengths of splinters and between singletons and voids. This is not available in BWS. Some panelists would choose 2NT rather than an immediate splinter if they were above minimum game-forcing strength. Others would choose 2NT over a splinter if they held a stiff honor. I agree that these style issues are things that you would ideally work out with a regular partner. The jump to 4S by opener after 1S-2NT is a very awkward part of Jacoby 2NT agreement. I personally scrap it altogether, much preferring to keep 2NT as natural to maintain suit strength/length integrity for 2/1 bids. There are much more efficient methods for game-forcing raises if you are willing to live with some complexity. BWS is already much too complex for a pickup partnership, however. Woolsey echoes your complaints about the vagueness of the above-game slam try. By his thinking, 5H has to to not be concerned about controls (otherwise partner would just cuebid 5C or 5D. The 5H bid should instead be looking for a heart fit for slam. (Some other panelists thought that 5H should be showing both or neither of the minor suit controls, on general principle, and then concluded that there was no possible hand containing neither.) I chose 6H, which was the plurality choice, and scores 100. 6D scored 70 points, and was chosen by 4 panelists (Allan Graves, Brian Glubok, Larry Cohen, and Fred Stewart). This is my second choice, but it is a distant second. Woolsey on 6D: "Looking for a grand slam makes no sense. If that were North's interest, and a key-card ask were inappropriate, he would surely have bid five clubs over four spades South would always control-bid the ace of diamonds if he had it; then, North could bid either 5H to get more information or six of a minor to make his intentions clear. South's bidding six diamonds is useless and may give the opponents information. North must have the king of diamonds for his sequence to make sense, so it is a club lead to be feared the most. If West has nothing in either minor, he will lead a club if South bids six diamonds...In fact, South might think about psyching 6C to try to keep West away from that lead." Woolsey thinks that 6S is clearly better than 6D, but actually prefers 6H, as an offer to play. A bunch of heavyweight names agree with him about 6H. (By the way, Ira Rubin and Mike Kamil would have passed originally with this hand.)

[ QUOTE ]
E) 3NT. OMG a toughie! 3NT is a ridicolous bid but what am I supposed to do? I cannot bring myself to pass (Mike Lawrence would) and X will almost certainly make partner bid 4H. Oh I should pass, but I can't. It's like folding AA - it's extremely hard

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Lawrence wasn't on the panel this month (although he frequently is), so I can't tell you whether or not he would pass. Four of the 25 panelists did choose to pass...Carl Hudecek, Ira Rubin, Bobby Wolff, and Danny Kleinman. 3NT was the majority answer, which I also chose, worth 100 points. Howard Weinstein's comment was "Three notrump. One of the most disgusting problems ever." There were seven votes for actions that I consider offbeat. Three doubles, three 3D bids, and one 4S bid (from Marshall Miles, who actually does this sort of thing in practice). Woolsey prefers the double, fully aware that he might get buried in hearts.

[ QUOTE ]
F) 3H+X. Easy. 3H is an overbid but there's really no other choice. X I suppose is take-out. Now we'll play the right suit, maybe a bit too high [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Double originally would be takeout, and is the action I chose, followed by 4H. This was in fact the plurality choice, but was overruled by Woolsey using his director's discretion. That plan got 90 points. 100 points was awarded to 3H followed by passing out 4C, which was chosen by 6 panelists. I think that this is a lapse of partnership discipline, as this should be forcing. Director Woolsey is the only current director who is willing to pass in systemically forcing situations, although he does not favor 3H then pass here. I don't care for his scoring choice. (Never mind that he downgraded my plan in the process...) Your plan to bid 3H and then double was chosen only by Debbie Rosenberg, who tries it only because she feels she must respect the force and is trying to get out with any plus score. If 3H created a force to at least 4H, which is the view of most of the panel, then they would treat your double as penalty rather than as takeout or convertable values. Four panelists chose 3H then 4D. Two chose 3H then 4H. Perhaps Woolsey decided to score 3H vs. double as an initial choice, then to score within each choice. That would explain the scoring without considering it a director's override. Your plan of 3H followed by double gets 70 points.

[ QUOTE ]
G) PASS. I don't expect a bravery medal for this, but seriously? Unless RHO is a total LAG, he'll have a billion spades. At IMP I'm not going for a possible 200 with the risk of losing 730. 3NT is tempting but where's my source of tricks? 5D just seems too far away

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to go back and look at the hand that I posted.
I hope it was
A3
AKQ62
---
AJ7653
with partner opening 3D and RHO overcalling 3S, both vulnerable at IMPs.

11 panelists chose 4C, the 100 point answer.
6 panelists picked 4H (my choice, and worth 80 points).
6 votes for (penalty) double, which scares the hell out of me, but is Woolsey's choice.
Nobody voted for pass, 3NT, or 4D. You get 10 points.

[ QUOTE ]
And btw: According to the text beneath the four problems I already answered, you only scored 350. But you also wrote that I'm trailing by 10. Which is it? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably made a math error. I did this very quickly. I'll go back and add it up and recheck that I posted the correct problem for problem G.

On this set of four problems, you scored 70, 100, 70, 10, for a total of 250. I scored 370 on these four problems.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And btw: According to the text beneath the four problems I already answered, you only scored 350. But you also wrote that I'm trailing by 10. Which is it? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. You were leading me 360-350 on the first set of four problems. Adding 250 to your score and 370 to mine gives you 610 to my 720. (Unless I made another arithmetic error) My average score last year was 707. Last year's winner averaged 710.4. An average of 672 would get you into the top ten.

This column is my favorite in the magazine. They also have a partnership bidding challenge. They frequently have match reports from high-level events. There are bidding theory articles, play and defense problems. There is frequently fiction incorporating bridge hands. (The current ones are nowhere near as good as Mollo's columns were, but that is a high target to shoot for.) The magazine isn't cheap, but I think it is worth it.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who this "spaceman" Bryce is, but Brian Davis and I are clearly the best Magic players on 2+2 unless someone I don't know about is lurking. ZeeJustin was never that successful at magic, but certainly put in less effort than Brian and I. There are poker players who are better than both me and Brian at Magic, but they don't post on 2+2 except very rarely.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didnt know magic pros posted here.I obviously suck compared to you guys...you're chris pikula?Yup the only pros I ever played against were mike turian and matt place. and gadiel in some sidegames.WHERES JON FINKEL?(you know i have to ask)

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, that's where i recognize Pikula from. I used to play a little magic back in the day. I went to highschool with Brian Kibler and for a second was wondering if that was you Davis...