Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Getting Someone Started in Poker

I haven't seen a post like this, so sorry if there ever has been. I've got a good friend who would like to learn poker but has never played. I'm confident he can and will follow poker theories from the start. I leant him Ciaffone's book and TOP, but he doesn't even know which starting hands are good, percentage chance of making a flush from the flop etc. Is there something more basic he could read as well to supplement (I know there aren't really many other books, but a basic article online somewhere maybe?) Giving him a chart seems really cheezy and I don't advocate Miller's short stack. Should I just make a starting hand range for the 25NLs? Any good articles for beginners?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Getting Someone Started in Poker

TOP + 2+2 board reading + patience & discipline = decent SSNL play
Old 10-20-2005, 01:54 PM

I'd recommend starting with limit. Learn the basics of what a good starting hand is, what a value bet is, etc from there. There is much more rudimentary literature for limit than there is for no-limit, such as SSH and WLLP.

Then when he switches to no-limit after becoming good at limit play, he'll know how to play preflop when he reads Ciaffone's writing that top-pair type hands are worth less in no-limit. He won't need a chart.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 PM

Lee Jones' limit book is well written and I think would be easy reading for beginners. Ditto for Matthew Hilger's book. I know these are not NL-based, but they do have decent starting hand charts that emphasize tight play, which I think is important for beginners.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:03 PM

Agreed with the above recommendation about starting out with Limit which will provide a solid foundation for NL.

As mentioned above, WLLH by Lee Jones is a great place to start. Personally, I like GSHE by Miller as he walks you through a sample from every position and slowly introduces new topics and concepts as the hands progress.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:05 PM

its hard to get someone whos starting to simply read forums. i dont know they feel intimidated from the posting part maybe. but www.pokerpages.com has alot of articles for new ppl, some of the writers like rolf slotbloom really helped my game back in the day
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM

IMHO the only place for a real beginner to start is Poker School Online (PSO).

Link to PSO
Old 10-20-2005, 02:14 PM

I also like WLLH by Lee Jones. It's well-written and it's a great primer on which hands to play and how to play them. I also agree that limit is a good place to start. Mistakes in no-limit can be expensive.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:27 PM

hmm the limit suggestion is interesting, only I won't be able to guide him since I never played it myself. I was thinking of showing him both of Lederer's videos since he advocates such a squeaky tight PF strategy in them. He would be bonus whoring of course, so the bonuses would cushion the learning curve. As far as posting, that would require him to actually play some hands. Reading here I think would do little good until he gets a sense of good starting hands, odds, and practical playing experience.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO the only place for a real beginner to start is Poker School Online (PSO).

Link to PSO

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard of this before, I see you have to sign up tho. The advice here is worthwhile, or is this a joke post?