Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-29-2005, 06:29 PM

Default was this handled correctly?

Interesting situation, 5/10 at the Taj the other night. 3 players on the river, first to act bets, second player folds and flings his hand into the muck. Except one of his cards shoots right into the first player's hand, literally--the guy is now holding three cards, and no one can tell which one came from the 2nd player. Everyone freezes for a second. Player 2 (who folded) is in the 8 seat, and whispers his hand to the 9 seat (not in the hand), who whispers it to the dealer. The dealer is a pretty timid woman who doesn't seem to know what to do. 9 seat reaches over and takes the top card from the bettor and shows it to player 2 and the dealer. Nope, that wasn't my card, says player 2. So that card goes back to player one and they try again with another card. Player 2 agrees that the second card they just showed him was indeed his, and the dealer puts it in the muck, and play continues.

Everyone else, including the guy left to act in seat 2, was pretty much dumbfounded during this whole thing. Was it handled right?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: was this handled correctly?

im pretty sure the hand should be dead.
somebody smarter than me will have to confirm this
Old 12-29-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. It was a pretty big pot. Someone would not have been happy with a decision to kill the hand.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. As the rest of the story demonstrated, there's a way to correct the fouling of the hand, and there hasn't been any action (like the big blind getting three cards and not noticing until his turn to act, at which point his hand is nothing but dead).

For sure this is one of those cases where nobody should move a muscle except to yell "FLOOR!" What happened is probably right (since everybody did at least have the sense to stop), but it really shouldn't be another player handling it.

Some will say the guy should have protected his hand better, but they're mostly the sort who'd say the same if an asteroid crashed through the roof of the cardroom onto their cards. "Oh, well, gotta protect your hand...never know when an asteroid's comin'..."

(OK, earlier it was the grumpy pills...I dunno what I'm on now. Too much tea and wanting to go home, maybe.)
Old 12-29-2005, 07:39 PM

The only way a dealer should handle this is to immediately stop the action and call the floor.

If the floor had corrected the hand this way I wouldn't be to upset, but I if the floor called the hand dead I wouldn't be surprised.

Player throwing his cards in the muck that hard should get kicked in the nuts.

last night I had the problem occur that when the button was on seat 7, player UTG in seat 10 folded his cards by snapping them quickly out just in time to intermingle with the last card I was pitching to the button. There simply was no reason to do this since he was in seat 10 since folding from seat 10 doesn't require that you fling them.

The floor called the hand a misdeal, which only bothers me because it creates an incentive for UTG to try to do this if he doesn't like his hand.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand ff the hand was protected (with a chip or something) I dont think it would be dead, if it wasnt it would. But I could be way off.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:30 PM

This sorta thing happened to me while playing at the MGM earlier this week.

Seat 1 is UTG and calls the BB (he put his chips over the little yellow line). Seat 2 is ordering a drink and pushes her cards into Seat 1's hand. The dealer rules both hands dead and tells Seat 1 that his money has to stay. He did tell him that if he had protected his hand with something, like a chip, his hand wouldn't have been dead as it was obvious who's cards were whos.

Seat 1 was pretty pissed and I told seat 2, my wife, to give the guy $2 as a "I'm sorry". It was her first time playing so she didn't realize what she had done and the guy in Seat 1 was a total moron so I figured it was in our best interest to keep him happy. The $2 sorry was good enough to get him to stick around and buy in again. Yay.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:43 PM

It's the players responsibility to protect his hand. His hand is dead and the pot is awarded to the only player left with a live hand. The only other thing that can be done is if both players agree the pot can be split.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 AM

The player with an extra card should simplify the situation by either folding his cards or calling and announcing what he has without looking at the extra card. Or raising and promising to say what his hand is without looking if called.

If the floor is called he should be able to preserve the hand and would be correct to do so.

NT
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This sorta thing happened to me while playing at the MGM earlier this week.

Seat 1 is UTG and calls the BB (he put his chips over the little yellow line). Seat 2 is ordering a drink and pushes her cards into Seat 1's hand. The dealer rules both hands dead and tells Seat 1 that his money has to stay. He did tell him that if he had protected his hand with something, like a chip, his hand wouldn't have been dead as it was obvious who's cards were whos.

Seat 1 was pretty pissed and I told seat 2, my wife, to give the guy $2 as a "I'm sorry". It was her first time playing so she didn't realize what she had done and the guy in Seat 1 was a total moron so I figured it was in our best interest to keep him happy. The $2 sorry was good enough to get him to stick around and buy in again. Yay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not your wife gives Seat 2 the $2 should not depend upon your opinion of him. She should give him the $2 because it was completely her own bonehead mistake.