Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 06:50 AM

Default AKos- Should I have gotten off of this?

This is against an 83/35 donk. To aggressive by me or just bad luck? Is my reraise preflop too small? Has anyone seen my game?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($146.35)
MP ($99.30)
Button ($341)
SB ($117.55)
Hero ($156.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, SB calls $3.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, Button folds, SB calls $8.

Flop: ($28) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $24</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $48</font>, Hero calls $24.

Turn: ($124) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $57.55</font>, Hero calls $2.55.

River: ($239.10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $239.10

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 7h 4c (three of a kind, sevens).
Hero has Ac Ks (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: SB wins $239.10. </font>
Old 12-29-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: AKos- Should I have gotten off of this?

The reraise pf is definitely too small. I was about to say you can't fold your hand, then I reread your post to check for reads on villain...yeah, you probably could have gotten away from it but you have to check the flop
Old 12-29-2005, 07:39 AM

Ok, trying to learn here because I'm lost with your advices Fallen.

PF reraise too small because of the SB calling? Heads-up raising 3 times would be enough but because of SB, raising 4 times would be better? Even if SB is a donk, I mean, that raise is most likely getting you headsup, probly 90% of the time and you hold AKo...

Why checking the flop after he checks? As far as i'm concerned, thats a good flop... why giving him credit for 7?

I'm confused!

.fs.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, trying to learn here because I'm lost with your advices Fallen.

PF reraise too small because of the SB calling? Heads-up raising 3 times would be enough but because of SB, raising 4 times would be better? Even if SB is a donk, I mean, that raise is most likely getting you headsup, probly 90% of the time and you hold AKo...

Why checking the flop after he checks? As far as i'm concerned, thats a good flop... why giving him credit for 7?

I'm confused!

.fs.

[/ QUOTE ]

about pf: don't look at X times the ammount someone raised, just use potsized raises and you should be fine (adjust if you think stacksizes demand another bet size). In this case I'd bet $16.

About checking the flop: you give him space to bet inferior hands (pp's, inferior aces) while keeping the pot small and allowing yourself to get away from the hand when he makes a big 3bet (even so, it won't be easy and most times you'll end up getting stacked if he has trips)
Old 12-29-2005, 08:32 AM

But if i'm sticking with my X time the amount someone raised, raising 16$ is 4 times. If the SB folds to the first raise, how much would you raise the stealer? $12 I guess, since there's only 4$ in the pot.

I do agree that i'm still very noob at NL and my guidelines so far were open raise to 3 times the BB or 3 + # of limpers the BB.

That's straight from Lee Jones since I didn't buy a good NL book so far lol..

I'd like to understand my leak here...

Thanks Fallen, i like reading you.

.fs.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if i'm sticking with my X time the amount someone raised, raising 16$ is 4 times. If the SB folds to the first raise, how much would you raise the stealer? $12 I guess, since there's only 4$ in the pot.

I do agree that i'm still very noob at NL and my guidelines so far were open raise to 3 times the BB or 3 + # of limpers the BB.

That's straight from Lee Jones since I didn't buy a good NL book so far lol..

I'd like to understand my leak here...

Thanks Fallen, i like reading you.

.fs.

[/ QUOTE ]

X times works well if there isn't anything unusual in the hand (like a short stack all-in that would mess things up a bit) but that's just me nitpicking, it virtually doesn't make a difference.
The only reason I mentioned using pot sized raises instead of X times someone's raise is because on later streets there will be dead money in the pot, and if you want to raise (for the same reasons you do pre-flop, value, protection, etc) you'll have to do it pot sized and not X times what he bet, so...why get yourself into bad habits trying to get rules on how to do it pf?

In conclusion: your X is pretty close to a potsized bet pf (excluding blinds and other minor stuff) so it should work fine, I'm just not a big fan of getting rules on how to do stuff that sonner or later will have to become second nature to you.

PS: thanks, it's nice to know I'm being helpfull [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 AM

I would have made it 16$ preflop as well. But when the flop comes 77A Im definetely not checking. Think you'll see AQ alot more than a lone 7. No way I would have gotten off this one.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 AM

I don't think you played this hand poorly. Villian got lucky. If he's going to call 2 preflop raises very often with poor hands, I'd just hope to be sitting at a table with him as often as possible. He's not going to hold on to that $239.10 long.