Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-24-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Was asked to coach another player last night, now what?

So I am playing next to one of the regulars in my normal game. He is a nice enough guy, but frankly he is one of the fish. We talk sometimes about hands, I try not to educate the fish, but sometimes the nice guy in me comes out at the table and I will give him some simple advise if he asks.

So after a hand that he misplayed he asked me about it, and in a moment of weakness I told how I would have played it. He was impressed and understood what I was talking.

He got up and followed me on a break and corned me and offed me a deal to coach him. The deal, he pays me about what I would expect to make in a good session for each session I coach him. This would be an on going thing until he felt he was beyond the need. Rather that ends up being one session or 20 I do not know. I told him I would think about it and let him know next time we see each other.

So basically how this would work is I would instead of sitting the table I would sit behind him, see his cards and after the hand and after the session in a more deatiled manner than time, etc allows at the table side, we would review each hand and situation and I would give him my take.

So I am considering this. On one hand it is a locked up profitable session without risk of loss. On the other hand, I am teaching a fish not to be a fish. I am adding yet another strong player to game I regularly play and lose a player I can easily out play. There is also the reaction of the other players in the game to be considered. Most of the regular players there have enough respect for me that it would not be a problem and they would also most likely clam any nits about too.

I am leaning towards doing it, but thought I would get some other thoughts before proceeding.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Was asked to coach another player last night, now what?

Sometimes I think we all get too locked up in not helping the fish.

As long as this guy is a good guy I see no reason not to help him out.

I'm not sure if I like you sitting behind him seeing his cards though. That will be your problem I think.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:24 AM

I'm leaning toward a NO, don't coach him. You'll probably make more in the long run keeping a fish in the game, one donator really drives the action for the entire game. I personally don't get chummy with the weak players, I don't want to end up feeling guilty if we don't soft play.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm leaning toward a NO, don't coach him. You'll probably make more in the long run keeping a fish in the game, one donator really drives the action for the entire game. I personally don't get chummy with the weak players, I don't want to end up feeling guilty if we don't soft play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that is part of what is holding me back.

He is not a big donator in the game, he is just an easy weak/tight target for me to pick on. The drunks drive my game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have no guilt issues what so ever. If you put our money on the felt, it is fair game baby and my goal is to take all of it.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also the reaction of the other players in the game to be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

In the name of profit you exploit drunken fish and compulsive gamblers on a regular basis. Obviously you are OK with that.

Someone wants to pay you to coach him. No doubt this will increase his enjoyment of the game and make his life better in a small way.

Now you are worried about what other people will think of you!?

You would be at a poker table doing something that is legal, ethical, and makes you money. You don't owe anything to the other players. Do what you want to do.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:40 AM

you can always coach him about halfway. don't give him the insights of your reads and such, but explain basic theory to him. He has the choice of going and buying TOP and SSHE an learning or he can pay you to teach it to him. One way Mason and Skalnsky make a few bucks, the other you make a decent amount. I know what my choice would be.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:16 AM

Let me see if I understand the situation correctly. You have come to a FREE message board web site where PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW openly trade hand histories and ask for FREE help in the proper way to have played a hand, to ask if you should help another player who has come to you for some basic help. So in other words, you, after recieving a tremendous amout of free helpful advise, are wondering if you should extend that same benefit to someone else?

If you don't want to help the guy the very least you could do is direct him here and then leave the rest up to him.

This is not directed at the OP but sometime I get upset when I read things about "not helping the fish". We were all that fish at some point and people here have freely given some excellent (and some rotten) advise that we have all benefited from. I found this site when I picked a book (so long ago I don't remember which book) at Borders and on the back was a small blurb saying "For the best discussion of poker and gambling on the internet visit out web site". Well I went to that web site, bought many books, studied and posted questions and here I am with a bankroll many many times larger than the one I started with. I owe a significant thanks to everyone associated with 2+2.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:26 AM

theres plenty of fish in the game. hes a nice guy, trying to improve, and i dont think you have anything to lose by this.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:53 AM

Tell him your concern with eductating a fish and then ask to bump the price up a bit.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:22 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to end up feeling guilty if we don't soft play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would feel guilty about this, with a player that you're 'teaching', you shouldn't be teaching. This should be a prime lesson to be learned. You can still be chummy and friendly and play each other hard.

b