Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-23-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Another Tax Question

I'm not sure if this one has been covered before. Anyways, let's say my 'roomate' has an account at an online site. His poker account is tied to my checking account. For certain reasons, I feel obligated to pay the income taxes on my 'roomates' winnings. Is there going to be any difficulty resulting from the fact that the poker account is in his name, and the checking account is in my name? I live in Canada if that makes any difference.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Another Tax Question

I thought Canadians didn't pay taxes on their winnings unless they were considered a pro
Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Canadians didn't pay taxes on their winnings unless they were considered a pro

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I have to consider myself... errr my roomate a pro. I made about 2500 this summer from working a job and roughly 15K playing poker. I might be able to get out of it this year, but not next year for sure, as I don't plan to work a job (I'm in college though if that makes any difference).
Old 12-24-2005, 05:37 AM

I would expect that, unfortunately, you would have to pay income taxes for your "roommate's" gambling activities. I mean, it is tied to your checking account after all. The money that is cashed out goes directly to you. This is of course my personal opinion (one you seem to share). I am interested in the "correct" answer to this myself, for purely educational reasons, of course....