Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Stud/8 Ante on Party (more basic questions)

50c/1$ ante 25c
1/2$ ante 25c
2/4$ ante 25c
3/6$ ante 50c
5/10$ ante 50c
10/20$ ante 1$
20/40$ ante 2$

I was playing a bit of 1/2$ stud/8 on Party today and started scoping a nice pot of 60$, so I just thought wow and played for some time .. and suddenly it dawned on me, that I had lost it all without really losing any big pots or anything that stood out (sure I stayed to long with a few hand and such, but ... )

Is it just me, or is an ante of 25c in the 1/2$ games too high ?? (You have to play pretty tight and pushing people around is not really possible (at least at that level, someone is usually calling you down) (Not to mention the 1/2 $ ante in the 50c/1$ stud8 games, that simply seems like madness to me)

Or am I too tight by mostly sticking to Ray Zee's category 1-7 starting hands (Rolled up trips to highest pair) and do I simply have to gamle a great deal more and just take the rollercoaster ride

And if I am to loosen up is that in the high end by starting to play high three flushes and straigh hoping to pair a large (live) card and then maybe scooping if noone makes a low .. or ? (I am really just guessing hre .. but hey .. ?? )

(And if a 25c ante in a 1/2$ game is to high, does that also go for a 50c ante in the 3/6$ game ?)
Old 12-11-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Stud/8 Ante on Party (more basic questions)

You're right. The structure on party really sucks until you start playing 2/4. 2/4 and up is perfect in my experience (though I must admit that I have not played the 3/6 game much at all there).
Old 12-11-2005, 04:07 AM

a related question I have is for playing 3/6 25c ante vs 3/6 50c ante - how are you supposed to loosen up? this should apply to his question about 1/2 25c which seems ridiculously out of proportion, btw, so try to find a better game.

my guess is that ante stealing, which is usually not a big priority in 8/b becomes more of a concern. and I guess we'd need to play some of the more marginal hands, like razz hands and small pairs with small kickers.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:13 AM

Yea the low limit structure is ridiculous. You do have to gamble more, but I think playing a little tighter than the other players in the game is the way to go. I'm not a stud/8 player, but IMO you don't really want to add anything but the best high hands, maybe just add some of the weaker low hands.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:17 AM

Typically in a game with these high antes you do want to steal more antes, but at this level typically people play to loose for steals to work at any frequency.

In stud high when I played 1/2 I found myself calling 3rd and 4th and trying to push people out at 5th with my strong hands. I save my bluff/steals for the later streets since people don't fold early streets much.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:26 PM

$.25 in a $1/2 game is on the high side, but not ridiculous. The ante in the $.50/1.00 game is ridiculous. I think the problem with the structure of the $1/2 game (as well as many, many other on-line stud games) is that the bring-in is too high. It should be around 1/3 of the small bet, and if that isn't a convenient figure, use 1/4. So I think that $.25 ante and $.25 bring-in would be fine for a $1/2 game. I think that Full Tilt has a $.20 ante and a $.25 bring-in, which is a good structure.

$3/6 with a $.50 ante is exactly the same structure as a standard $30/60 game. I consider this to be the ideal structure for stud.

I don't think you need to adjust that much between a $.25 ante and a $.50 ante for $3/6. The bottom line is that you're going to have to show down the best hand, so you should stick to solid starters in either game. (In high-only, I do make some adjustments based on the size of the ante.)