Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-10-2005, 05:41 AM

Default There\'s a third time for everything

I mucked KK preflop for the third time. Lucky Chances $20-40 NLHE. Sometimes at 10am it's like reading and coffee and shoptalk hour. Other times, it is kazZAM out of the gate and they're off and it's make it 200 call call call, flop comes check, check, bet 800, call 800, checkraise all in 3000 fold, call, shityougotme ... CHIPS!!

It didn't slow down much. It was that kind of line up. Hours later, everyone had danced but me. But I was totally fine just watching. I had picked up some smallerish pots here and there, and I felt involved, but I really didn't care if I ever played a hand deep. This was the funnest I'd ever had just watching players play.

So here comes pocket kings. My stack was 3K. I was UTG and I limped for $40. It was folded to one of the three main raisers. He made it $200. His stack was 4K. Folded to the button, who was also one of the raisers. He went all in for 3K. The blinds folded. And I'm like.

I looked at the guy who had made it $200, and it was sort of like he gave me one of these "If you call I'll call" look deals.

I don't know what I was thinking about. There was way too many cards to come for me to be just sticking my whole stack out there without the okeedokes. Maybe it was inertia. Or maybe it's a style thing. I'm not going to *CALL* three thousand out of nowhere into a nothing pot without the nuts. I'm just not. Besides, I can still get good ROI on these chips later on if I just keep my head. Nobody is going anywhere.

ssshhhhfft

The 200 guy hemhawed and folded face up, QJ suited. He WAS going to call if I called! The winner didn't show.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: There\'s a third time for everything

Thats tough, I've only folded KK preflop once and it was super tough.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:54 AM

caclalcalcalcalcalclalalcall
Old 12-10-2005, 05:56 AM

tommy knows he's going to be blasted for this fold, so let me be the first to say..

that's a really awful fold
Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 AM

I'm tempted to write a Tommy post for my next hand. I think he just likes writing and doesn't care what people say about his play.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to *CALL* three thousand out of nowhere into a nothing pot without the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is $3300, far from nothing. If you haven't seen this main raiser go all-in for a huge amount preflop with AA then you have to make this call. This looks more like a smaller pocket pair and most likely AK type hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:16 AM

wow. c'mon, man.

first off, let me say that i've never folded KK preflop with a 75bb stack, and i probably never will. but there's more here.

[ QUOTE ]
There was way too many cards to come for me to be just sticking my whole stack out there without the okeedokes. Maybe it was inertia. Or maybe it's a style thing. I'm not going to *CALL* three thousand out of nowhere into a nothing pot without the nuts. I'm just not.

[/ QUOTE ]
i usually like your posts a lot, tommy, because you take a different perspective, and you give us READS on your opponents, and you base your actions and decisions on those reads. if you had done that here, if you had told us that the player who pushed is someone who's scared to play postflop poker, who's a particularly weak-tight rock, or you somehow picked up that he was playing with his case $3k, and THAT's why you made this fold, then at least it makes some semblance of sense.

but to say, "I'm not going to *CALL* three thousand out of nowhere into a nothing pot without the nuts" is not only ludicrous, it's FACTUALLY WRONG.

there's already $3300 in the pot.

and one of the reads you DID give us was that the first raiser was going to call if you did, so you will likely be getting over $6000 for your $3k call. you also told us this game was playing in warp-speed at the time, and that these two players were among the guys driving it. how do you think KK stacks up against their hand ranges?

lastly,

[ QUOTE ]
I can still get good ROI on these chips later on if I just keep my head. Nobody is going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you lose, buy more chips. like you said, nobody's going anywhere. but you know this. so why are you saying things like the quote above?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 AM

maybe because Tommy likes to be a martyr?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
caclalcalcalcalcalclalalcall

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I want to add
CALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALL
Old 12-10-2005, 06:46 AM

I still think Tommy is just a guy that keeps making his hands more and more ludricous just to see how absurd a play he can post and STILL have people justifying it.

This one might be the one that went to far though. Hopefully some people will argue that his fold was correct. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]