Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 2 - Eight vs. Nine
Austin Powers 55 31.25%
Caddyshack 121 68.75%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Commuting

Without traffic jams, I can get into work in about 30 minutes. However, as soon as winter rolls around, I'll be looking at a 1 hour commute most days. This is by far the worst part of my day. I really hate driving. I've called in sick a few times when the weather was bad just to avoid sitting in traffic.

That being said, every time I mention how much I hate my commute, someone will always pipe in with "Your commute is nothing, most people who live in big American cities have much longer commutes than that".

So I'm curious...how long is the average OOTiot's commute?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Commuting

Im in sales, so my day is one long commute. I dont mind driving though. I was talking about this a couple days ago with one of the other salesmen, and he lived on both coasts for awhile. He said that it wasnt uncommon to have a 2-3.5 hour commute in LA, when he was there, if you used the freeway.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM

How far is your drive?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im in sales, so my day is one long commute. I dont mind driving though. I was talking about this a couple days ago with one of the other salesmen, and he lived on both coasts for awhile. He said that it wasnt uncommon to have a 2-3.5 hour commute in LA, when he was there, if you used the freeway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't imagine spending 4+ hours a day commuting. I wouldn't be able to handle it...I'd feel like I was wasting a huge part of my life sitting in my car.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:35 PM

I'm in the 30m - 1h camp. 34 miles door-to-door in the Silicon Valley. I'll occasionally tip over an hour based on what time I leave and traffic.

We moved offices about a year ago to bring work closer to where I live. Prior to that, it was 47 miles each way, which was pretty bad.

I've heard a myriad of stories of people driving over from the Central Valley to the SF Bay Area, and don't know how they do it and keep their sanity.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How far is your drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about 35kms each way. The big problem is that there's no direct route to get there. I can't get on the highway and then exit at my office. I drive on the highway for about 15kms, exit and have to drive down congested streets with lots of lights (this sometimes the longest part of my commute), get on a parkway for another 15km or so, cross a bridge and then drive through more stop and go traffic for the last 5kms or so.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:45 PM

I used to spend an hour each way now i spend about 15-20 minutes. I had to pay a lot more to live where i do now than i was paying an hour away though.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 PM

A guy from one of the places I work with used to live literally a 30 second walk from his house to his workplace. At lunch, in the middle of a Toronto winter, he could run across the street in his t-shirt for lunch and watch a little Price is Right while everyone else is stuck in the cafeteria.

The dumb bastard gets married. She won't move away from the family. The family lives in Peterborough. This is like a 2 hour drive each way to downtown Toronto. He had the perfect situation and [censored] it up for a broad, the usual thing. Now, instead of being totally relaxed, well-rested and therefore envied, he's a laughing stock and a tired wreck.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 PM

When I lived in Montreal, one of my neighbours would commute from Montreal to Ottawa every day. That's about a 220 km commute.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:51 PM

i go 101 miles each way
takes about 1.5 hours on a dream ride (75mph cruise control, no faster), 1.75 with normal traffic, 2+ with any type of accident, rain, snow, bennies, etc.