Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Just got pulled over by the cops while walking at night

Why not just answer his questions? He has a hard job. Sure he was eing unprofessional, but why poke this particular hornets nest with a stick?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:26 PM

nevermind i'll put this reply in the bigger thread. but i don't see what this has to do with B&Ms.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Just say your in Law School. Thats what I do. They hate that and tend to respect you a bit for it. I hate the Bacon...
Old 09-05-2005, 12:48 PM

Someone could have seen you form their house and made a complaint.

I think you're out of line here. Just tell the truth.

Everyone hates cops until they need one.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 PM

I'm not a police officer or lawyer (and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn last night), but to me, what you did was no better than Entrapment.

In My Not-so Humble Opinion, you were acting totally within your rights and abusing them at the same time.

If I were a judge I'd admonish the officers for letting you bait them. They gave in to their baser instinct and jumped right into the pissing match you started. They would have been better served by smiling and treating you ultra-respectfully and following "proper procedure" to the letter.

Then I'd find you guilty of interfering with a police officer and put your pitiful butt to work at community service during 60% of every free minute you have for the next 6 months.

You sound, to me, exactly like the guy who screams every time some pissant's "rights" are "violated," and yet you chose to abuse your own. Is it any wonder law enforcement people feel like nobody really gives a damn? You simply prove their point.

Since you like to walk around at 4 a.m., isn't it be nice to know there are police doing their duty at that time, not parked somewhere sleeping or, stereotypically, at the local donut shop? Personally, had it been me, I'd have gone out of my way to make friends with these guys. Then, whenever they saw me, they'd probably wave and drive on by. I'd feel comfortable knowing they were "on the job" and available if I ever needed them.

Now, will somebody please deal the cards?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:54 PM

I am a lawyer, a prosecutor to be specific, and that is not even close to entrapment. at least under U.S. law, the cop can ask questions, but he didn't have to answer, and in fact, just asking him to show his hands was improper.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lawyer, a prosecutor to be specific, and that is not even close to entrapment. at least under U.S. law, the cop can ask questions, but he didn't have to answer, and in fact, just asking him to show his hands was improper.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you'll go back and re-read my "opening statement," perhaps you'll see I was not saying the officer was "entrapping," rather, the complainant was acting in a manner construed, by me, as an effort to "entrap" the officer.

I've taken a lot of deep breaths and am passing up the opportunity and suppressing my extremely strong urge to take a lot of shots at you, sir.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:43 PM

It's "I obliged."
and you don't really describe M.O.s (main objective)
Old 09-05-2005, 02:53 PM

Why is the officer asking him to show his hands improper?
If he was going to interview him doesn't the officer have a right to safety?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:57 PM

M.O. - Modus Operandi, mode or method of operation (i.e., one's characteristic behavior).
Closed Thread