Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Is this a good floor decision at Wynn?

As far as I knew up until today, the managaement was not allowed to look back at the cameras to make a floor decision or to correct something done in error. If there was an error that wasn't pointed out in time, next hand. Here was the situation today.

I was sitting in a NL game at the Wynn when on the river, the first player turns over QQ for queens up and the 2nd player turns over A7 for 7's up. The dealer picks up the QQ and mucks it. Than pushes the pot over to the A7. As he is shuffling, the player next to the QQ guy said "wait a minute, isn't the pot his (pointing to the QQ guy)" The dealer said he thought it was QK. Several others at the table including myself confirmed it was QQ. The A7 already stacked the chips and as far as my knowledge goes, the pot belongs to him. I have lost many big pots in similar situations.

Anyway, they call the floor over. And the floor says that if we agree it was QQ, we can give the pot back to him. So now he has to find out all the action to get the pot exactly right. Of course, no one could remember or agree on who put money into the pot or how much. They went to the cameras and came back 15 minutes later, giving the chips to QQ. Is this normal?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Is this a good floor decision at Wynn?

[ QUOTE ]
I have lost many big pots in similar situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell are you playing?!?!?!?!?! Wherever it is, STOP PLAYING THERE.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:05 AM

well 1st off would you say something if you had won a pot and they pushed it to the other player? (not directing at you I realize it wasnt you in the pot just using it as reference). I think if they cant get an accurate it would be the best way to go.

They already made a decision to give QQ the pot, the video cameras where just to confirm size of pot, not affecting the decision. I think it would be the right thing to do.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:30 AM

I've posted this before, but it is directly on point. I was at a 2/4 table at Canterbury (on a date with Mrs. Milo), when a hand that should have been a chop (A8 vs. A5 on an A2294 board, or some such) was pushed to the A8. Halfway through the next deal, I realized this and told the dealer. She immediately saw her mistake and called the floor. The cards were long gone, so they reconstructed the hand, took the pot from the winner and held it for 15 minutes or so while they reviewed the tape. When the floor returned, he chopped the ~$30 pot.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have lost many big pots in similar situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell are you playing?!?!?!?!?! Wherever it is, STOP PLAYING THERE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, why would ever go back to a place that cost you money like that?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:48 AM

Well Commerce is a big room with lots of good games. The floor man at the 10/20 NL game told me he wasn't allowed to look at the cameras.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:09 AM

he's not allowed to look at the camera unless you give him a tip.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've posted this before, but it is directly on point. I was at a 2/4 table at Canterbury (on a date with Mrs. Milo), when a hand that should have been a chop (A8 vs. A5 on an A2294 board, or some such) was pushed to the A8. Halfway through the next deal, I realized this and told the dealer. She immediately saw her mistake and called the floor. The cards were long gone, so they reconstructed the hand, took the pot from the winner and held it for 15 minutes or so while they reviewed the tape. When the floor returned, he chopped the ~$30 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played at a small number of cardrooms other than Canterbury (Mirage, Bellagio, and AJ's in SF) so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but is Canterbury the most well-run room in the country? It's gotta be top-5.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:54 AM

If there was doubt about the size of the pot or the best hand the procedure typically used by a good floor is to impound the pot (or the approximate size of the pot) and place the chips in stacks or a rack near the dealer tray. Then the floor calls the shift manager who would then call surveillance. It generally takes about ten to fifteen minutes to get things fixed.

As an aside, if you protect your hand and double check your opponents hand and the board this would not happen.

~ Rick
Old 09-01-2005, 04:13 PM

I had QQ at the Borgata in AC against 10J. Board was 10J55A. $600 pot was pushed to the other guy. I stupidly missed it. About three hands later, other players mentioned it saying they didn't feel like they had a right to interfere at the time. The whole table, including the 10J, agreed to all the cards. No one at the Borgata, not the dealer, or any floorman, will do anything. They will barely even listen to me. So pissed, but thought, ultimately, after the hand is over, it's over (as they kept telling me).