Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Default \"We Don\'t Bet Each Other on the River...\"

So I play in a live 10/20 "private" game which has a whole bunch of regulars. Everyone's played with everyone before, and I'm kind of the "new guy." (Not to mention many of the other players are old and I'm a college kid and so on and so forth...)

Many of the players, though, have weird arrangements where they don't bet at each other on the river. Some arrangements even involve giving certain opponents their river bets back if they called in a multiway pot and their compatriot won, or even basically shutting down the betting (and sometimes actually exposing their hands) as early as the turn. Players comment "I'm checking the turn with Aces" or "I'm on a draw" all the time when they are in pots with "friends." It is really, really strange. I once even saw a guy preemptively turn over his hand on the turn against another player who was not aware that such an agreement even existed. The player graciously stopped betting, but I would have been upset in his situation.

Now, this doesn't directly effect me because this doesn't happen in hands I'm involved in, but I was just wondering if others had seen similar behavior in live games in the past. What is deal? Why do people do this? Is this some sort of well-established poker courtesy or something?

I know when I play against my friends I play especially tough and especially tricky because we respect each other and want to demonstrate our best play.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: \"We Don\'t Bet Each Other on the River...\"

[ QUOTE ]
I know when I play against my friends I play especially tough and especially tricky because we respect each other and want to demonstrate our best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I hate the idea of softplaying, especially in transparent view of the table.

One reason that this is lame is because it basically says "we're just here to take your money. nothing more." that sucks.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I hate the idea of softplaying, especially in transparent view of the table.

One reason that this is lame is because it basically says "we're just here to take your money. nothing more." that sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I am supremely confident that anyone who enters into such an agreement is not walking away from the table with my money in the long run...
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM

Old guys do this all the time. I hate it. It's borderline collusive. Try going to a small card room some time in the morning on a weekday and play with the good ol' boys. It's ridiculous.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the idea of softplaying, especially in transparent view of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot better for it it be in view than hidden. It sucks, but at least they're not trying to cheat you.

[ QUOTE ]
borderline collusive

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not "borderline"; it's collusion, period. If this isn't collusion, what is? At least it's an open policy.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:40 PM

It's not collusion, as they are not trying to cheat anyone. It does look very bad though, and in general is not good for the game. I am usually not going to play very long in these games.

For a lot of people it is a way of being social and friendly to their regualar opposition. Also, a lot of them are trying to minimize their variance since they don't have a lot of money. It's about being in action, so they can hang out in the cardroom as long as possible.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:43 PM

What a bunch of pussies. Maybe everyone should turn their hand up preflop with the best hand taking the blinds. Then they wouldn't have to play any poker at all.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a bunch of pussies. Maybe everyone should turn their hand up preflop with the best hand taking the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should split the winnings though. It's only fair
Old 08-11-2005, 04:47 PM

They generally suck at Hold 'Em. Once you factor that, their lame softplaying makes sense.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 PM

While we're at it, how about Jacks and 2s are wild, and DEFINATELY no check-raising.