Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Post Flop - river call?

Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: redhotaces ( $540 )
Seat 2: whurleyd1200 ( $1120 )
Seat 3: SCUBA CHUCK( $775 )
Seat 4: letsgobrowns ( $1985 )
Seat 6: Kabaci ( $390 )
Seat 7: newlegends1 ( $355 )
Seat 8: packers0914 ( $725 )
Seat 9: allinfish ( $1640 )
Seat 10: Stjerna21 ( $470 )
Trny:14600147 Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to SCUBA CHUCK[ Kd Jd ]
letsgobrowns folds.
Kabaci folds.
newlegends1 calls [30].
packers0914 folds.
allinfish folds.
Stjerna21 folds.
redhotaces folds.
whurleyd1200 folds.
SCUBA CHUCKchecks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, 5s, As ]
SCUBA CHUCKchecks.
newlegends1 checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Td ]
SCUBA CHUCKchecks.
newlegends1 checks.
** Dealing River ** [ Ac ]
SCUBA CHUCKchecks.
newlegends1 bets [125].
SCUBA CHUCK......

<font color="blue"> I think this is a good situation to discuss. What range of hands do you put villain on? (Party Poker $33)

What's your reason for folding? What's your reason for calling? </font>
Old 08-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Post Flop - river call?

i'd pay him. he'd be betting something on that [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] flop with an Ace. HU with a blind check'r, there isn't a lot of hope for fancy play, trying to induce a bet from you.

the only risk IMO is a JJ,QQ,KKK...limping in EP, desperately hoping for a raiser. but those times are far/few between.

his bet on the river is almost too large to get called. if he held what he thought was the winning hand, something closer to t75 might seem more likely.

call.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:16 PM

This is extremely read dependent. How did villain go from 1000 to 355? Barring no reads, villain could have just about any two here, but most likely has a decent hand since they limped with 13 BB's from EP. I understand the possibility of calling since you have the best hand if villain is overbetting a missed flush draw or a smaller pocket pair then 10's. However if I wanted this pot, I would have bet the river. I think the overbet makes this a tough decision, and would lean towards folding unless villain donked away his chips by playing poorly postflop. Even so, I do not think the risk is worth the reward.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:19 PM

jd2b2006,

I don't think folding is bad here. But try and go through a thought process. What range of hands would you put villain on? Then think about how villain would play this hand based on each of those hands.

Scuba
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 PM

Fold.

I think it's pretty rare that you'll call and win the pot outright. You can call and split pretty frequently with another K. Sometimes you'll call and lose. So essentially, you stand to win 37.5 chips when you "win", and lose 125 more when you lose. I don't really like these odds.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

I think it's pretty rare that you'll call and win the pot outright. You can call and split pretty frequently with another K. Sometimes you'll call and lose. So essentially, you stand to win 37.5 chips when you "win", and lose 125 more when you lose. I don't really like these odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gump, I like your analysis. But you are not considering the "win" into your results. Very skewed, IMO.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:26 PM

I would let it go. I see too many donks that will slowplay a huge hand to the river and win only a tiny pot. The pot just isn't big enough to fight over. If you want us to try and put him on a range, a read would help, but I see him playing a weak ace this way, and maybe trying to get tricky with a ten.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gump, I like your analysis. But you are not considering the "win" into your results. Very skewed, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sure, I'm not putting in any exact probabilities. What I'm saying is that I think most of the time you're up against at least another K. In my opinion, it is quite unlikely that you'll win outright, so yes, I'm discounting this. If we now look at a case where you're going to splitting or losing - which I admit is oversimplified - you need to be confident that you'll split somewhere between 75-80% of the time to make calling correct, and even then it's quite marginal. The fact that you can win means this needs to be adjusted downward. Anyway, it's not ever going to be a particularly great spot, and so I don't mind passing on this one and figure that what I'm foregoing if I gauged it wrong is a theoretical +10 chips or so.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What range of hands would you put villain on? Then think about how villain would play this hand based on each of those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

...the one troubling thing, is what hand would NOT bet on the flop or turn? even just to pick up the blinds? certainly any bet would likely get a fold HH vs. the BB. what hand would give BB multiple opportunities to make a move on the pot?

something nut'ish?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sure, I'm not putting in any exact probabilities. What I'm saying is that I think most of the time you're up against at least another K. In my opinion, it is quite unlikely that you'll win outright, so yes, I'm discounting this. If we now look at a case where you're going to splitting or losing - which I admit is oversimplified - you need to be confident that you'll split somewhere between 75-80% of the time to make calling correct, and even then it's quite marginal. The fact that you can win means this needs to be adjusted downward. Anyway, it's not ever going to be a particularly great spot, and so I don't mind passing on this one and figure that what I'm foregoing if I gauged it wrong is a theoretical +10 chips or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Good analysis.

My table thoughts during the hand, rather after villain's bet was that I don't think he's playing an ace this way. If he has a ten, then I think he's making a smaller bet, hoping to get called. Therefore, he likely has a small pair, Kx, or anything else. Erego, I likely have the best hand (which might be a tie). Even then, I think a K-high hand still checks, and that a pot stealer likely bets.