Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: AK flop play

If he has a set he is usually not checkraising this flop, he's just calling. When an ace hits the turn, I check by default with almost anything I have. Now he's either paying me off or I'm paying him off, but the pot is much smaller either way and I get the most out of 99.

109's these days have 2-3 other 2+2'ers per table on average and the other donkeys are not really the type that are gonna call 3 big bets on a 7xxAx board with 87. The 215's might be different, I know there's more big bluffs going on.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:36 PM

There are no big bluffs, everyone is just terrible at poker. People do the most absurd things at the $215s and trust me the level of play at the 109s isnt higher.

Also to assume your opponent is a good player and then to assume they won't check raise with a set on this flop seems like a huge contradiction to me. There is zero chance I'd EVER just check call a set here. I would never expect a set to slowplay here.

It's ridiculous to check call I think, you are getting all the money from an overpair now, but there are tons of cards that can come on the turn to kill your action, depending on your opponents hand.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Eh, 'good' is kinda a bad word to use. 'Capable of folding' is what I meant, not really the same thing. It doesn't really take a good player to fold 99 when he just got 3 bet by the PFR.

So now that I've said that let me rephrase this to 'most Party donkeys won't CR a set on a 754 board'. They love doing it with 99 and QhTh and K8o, but nobody ever does it with a set. I guess they're scared they'll never get chips out of an AK that improves or something.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So now that I've said that let me rephrase this to 'most Party donkeys won't CR a set on a 754 board'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Party donkey that would do this as my standard play because the other Party donkeys can be counted on to automatically throw a continuation bet out there if I check. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, 'good' is kinda a bad word to use. 'Capable of folding' is what I meant, not really the same thing. It doesn't really take a good player to fold 99 when he just got 3 bet by the PFR.

So now that I've said that let me rephrase this to 'most Party donkeys won't CR a set on a 754 board'. They love doing it with 99 and QhTh and K8o, but nobody ever does it with a set. I guess they're scared they'll never get chips out of an AK that improves or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if they are a donkey I dont think they are folding 99.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:00 PM

"He bet, then 3 bet my raise, he must have aces"

I don't take this line very often but boy I've heard some awful folds typed into chat (from people who weren't lying) afterwards.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:01 PM

In my experience, this mini-raise screams "I have a mid overpair (88-TT) and I'm putting you to my idiot test without committing a lot of chips." I think you get a fold often to shove em in here.

I hate disagreeing with Curtains.

EDIT--BTW, against a LAG player or a big stack who's capable of mild bullying, I check behind on the flop.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:02 PM

How do you know they have 88-TT when they fold to your reraise?
Old 07-15-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you know they have 88-TT when they fold to your reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I make observations about hands that I'm not involved in. Holla.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:03 PM

You aren't really disagreeing with me. I don't have a big problem with betting, I just prefer checking in the exact situation that was posted.