Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 02:56 PM

Default New Microsoft mice with \"tilt\" wheels

I was poking around at CompUSA today and noticed that the newer microsoft mice have a new wheel mechanism. Instead of the old wheels that "click" as you scroll, the new ones are completely smooth rolling. They also tilt side to side for scrolling left and right, which I could use (I do a lot with large spreadsheets for my "real" job).

Anyway, I was not sure if I'd really like it or not because of the smooth wheel action. I use firefox mostly, and I use the middle click a LOT to open links in new tabs. With my current MS mouse, the mouse often sends a wheel scroll event to the computer as I'm middle-clicking, even if the wheel doesn't quite move enough to "click" to the next wheel position (hard to explain, but If you've used one you probably know what I mean). It seems that a smooth-scrolling wheel would have even more issues like this. Microsoft doesn't really use the middle click for anything in their OS or applications, so they probably don't test very strenuously for this annoying behavior. Has anyone used one of these and had enough experience middle-clicking to tell me if it's a problem or not?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: New Microsoft mice with \"tilt\" wheels

I have a tilt wheel one. The Wireless intellimouse Explorer 2.0. The middle clicking isnt really a problem. Its a little weird at first but I really like it now that I've gotten used to it. THe biggest issue i have with it is that sometimes when i scroll left or right it slides over but then right back when i release the wheel. It's just a little annoying, but not really a big deal.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to have to try one of these. The left/right scrolling alone would make life easier for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:26 PM

Sounds good. I'll probably pick one up and see how it goes. There are like four or five variants with this new wheel, and all but one of them are wireless. I'll get the one with the cable for $40 and if it works out I'll give that one to my wife and get one of the pricier wireless models.

The new MS wireless keyboards also have this wheel on the lefthand side, which would be awesome, but I'd really prefer a wired keyboard and I'm not ever going to give up my IBM clicky keyboard. They should make a keyboard companion thingy that has the wheel and whatever other "media" buttons etc that you could use with any keyboard.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:33 PM

So far me likey. The wheel action is awesome. The middle click requires more force than my old mouse, but thats ok.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:06 PM

Crap. I got a lemon. It middle-clicked about 15 times and now it doesn't do anything when I click the wheel. POS.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 AM

I loved mine... until I spilled beer on it and destroyed the wheel. It doesn't turn any more [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 03:00 AM

Sweet! Middle click opens windows in a new tab?!?! You are my hero.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:43 AM

That's no problem. Call em up (microsoft) and they'll send you a new one.