Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-21-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Lost Scout found!

"After downing bottles of water and eating all the granola bars carried by a group of volunteer searchers,the boy asked to play a video game on one rescuers' cell phone."

This kid needs to get more! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Lost Scout found!

Psssh. Four days in the wilderness should be a cakewalk for any Boy Scout worth anything.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:17 PM

Not if you're like 12...

Not everyone is Brian from Gary Paulson's "The Hatchet"
Old 06-22-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"After downing bottles of water and eating all the granola bars carried by a group of volunteer searchers,the boy asked to play a video game on one rescuers' cell phone."

This kid needs to get more! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A little story behind the story here.

last year another scout was lost in same area and never found after months of searching.

The father of the scout that was never found was one of the first searchers to arrive to help.

Also, this boy had wandered over 5 miles of very rough terrain before he was found.2 horseback searchers walked right by the kid but he was afraid to talk to them. Please instruct your children if they are lost to find an open area and STOP.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not if you're like 12...

[/ QUOTE ]

That book [censored] ruled.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-22-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the one where at the end, the kid finds the bad guy dead from gangrine (sp?) after trying to dig a bullet out of his leg with a Bowie knife? If it is, that book was awesome.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:55 AM

I just read this story in the newspaper. In it it said somewhere along the lines that volunteer searchers walked past where he was, but didn't see him. The kid "saw the searchers but didn't want to come out because he was too scared." I'm sorry, but this kid deserved to die.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Psssh. Four days in the wilderness should be a cakewalk for any Boy Scout worth anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 PM

The Hatchet sucked.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even a scout, and I did three my junior year of high school. I'm not sure I'd do particularly well if left in the desert, but Western Massachusetts in late April didn't pose much of a problem. The weekend stuck alone in the woods was a final for a class I took - yes, for H.S. credit - called Survival Living. It was great. We got to bring a bottle for water and whatever we could fit in a 12-oz peanut can. I defininetely did not lose weight while I was out there.

An Eagle-Scout friend of mine took this class a year before I did, and ended up catching somewhere around 50-60 ~6" trout over his weekend. Apparently the smoker he built cooked them nicely. He also made a bow-and-arrow and shot a grouse. (Sure, they're easy to shoot, but he still got one and I didn't.) Then he went to the Air Force Academy, graduated at the top of his class, and last I heard the government was giving him a few million per year and he couldn't tell anyone where he was disappearing to every few months.

However, he has nothing on Rolf, the Norwegian exchange student who was also supervising my class. He had done his required military service, but decided he also wanted to volunteer for a high-altitude survival experiment. He was left at 14,000 feet (in [censored] Norway) with something reminiscent of a garage-door-opener...if he pushed the one button, the people in charge would assume he was dying and come get him. Otherwise, he was going to stay there for a month. The people in charge were going to be pretty goddam pissed if he pushed the button and wasn't 99.99% dead. It took six days for him to start a fire because all the wood nearby was rotten. The only food he had available was lichens, and to eat those he had to boil them in a succession of progressively less-basic baths. So, he'd find an indentation in the rock around him, put some ashes in it, fill it with water and then keep adding hot rocks until it was warm enough to cook his lichens. Then find another, add less ashes, and re-boil the lichens. He was out there for 30 days...he started around 150lbs and ended around 110. He's about 5'10", and was reasonably skinny at 150.

Rolf also cross-country skiied across Greenland in record time for someone his age when he was 15-16 or so. A polar bear spent a few hours following him and eventually got too close, so he shot and killed it. And then knew which parts not to eat in order to avoid Vitamin A poisoning. I swear I'm not making this up. Norwegians have scared me ever since I met him.

In short, four days ain't [censored].