Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 04-26-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Negreanu now vs. 8 months ago... sad times.

[ QUOTE ]
Has Daniel post in the 2+2 forums? Also, I'm thinking Daniel has a larger bankroll then the 4 million dollars someone else stated. Everyone says its not unusual to be up or down a million dollars in the the big game. I don't think Daniel would risk a quarter of his bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel has posted here, pretty recently in response to a "Negreanu Chip Dmping!?" post (which was a completely groundless and inappropriate claim). Interestingly enough, his post count said "4", but when you went to "read all users posts" it only showed one (the response to the post-in-question). Anyone know why this is?

On a side note: Here is an excerpt from this months "Bluff" magazine:

[ QUOTE ]

I'm also taking these new poker vitamins , which I will be ebdorsing soon... It's a new product. A guy from the auto racing industry approached me and said "try this, it will really help you focus." It's got adrenaline blockers in it and it keeps you really relaxed... As a poker player, especially in long tournaments, the key is to control your adrenaline...

[/ QUOTE ]

G.S.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM

It appears to me that Daniel just notes everything that goes on in his day. Whether is it taking a bad beat or tipping well. I'm sure if some waitress was extremely rude to him and he stiffed her (relative) then we would hear about that too in his blog.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel has posted here, pretty recently in response to a "Negreanu Chip Dmping!?" post (which was a completely groundless and inappropriate claim). Interestingly enough, his post count said "4", but when you went to "read all users posts" it only showed one (the response to the post-in-question). Anyone know why this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I know why. His first posts were in the summer of 2003, actually they were in response to a NL tourney hand I played. It's in the archives now. I had emailed the hand to Daniel and then I told him that I posted it here and mentioned that I was getting blasted for my play. He posted in my defense, saying he liked the way I played it. That thread is right here.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who are not intimately familiar with EV

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on how one views the term 'intimately' but I find it hard to believe that Negrenau isn't very familiar with EV as seems to be the implication here.

However, I too had the same ideas that he has been having a VERY good year (some skill...and certainly some luck too) and this can lead one to consider themselves to be better than they really are.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:43 AM

oh, i'm sure that daniel negreanu is thinking hard, typing madly, and strongly compelled to respond to the 2nd-hand-sewing-circle gossip from the prestigous likes of I_Robot-1-post-Poker-Joe-Nobody...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM

I'm actually more inclined to give the guy a break than bust his chops. First off, he's relatively young. To have as much composure and class at his age is tough. Look at other players in his age group who win one medium sized tournament and can't even handle that with class.

Another thing too is that sudden fame and fortune are a brain blower. I worked in the dotcom world and saw it quite often. Yes, he might be talking more about big tips and such (I read his blog and haven't noticed him being too over the top with this kind of stuff) but that's because money has a different meaning. It's difficult to explain unless you've made that kind of money before but it completely changes your mindset. Hopefully, it's one of many phases he'll likely go through as he becomes more comfortable with his wealth and celebrity but I'm not going to ding the guy for admitting he's not broke. When he starts shouting that he can buy you ten times over in the middle of a card game I might change my opinion but he's certainly not being too bad a person at the moment. When he does brag it's usually bragging about helping others. Maybe it helps him cope with the sudden wealth by allowing him to demonstrate to others that he's not being a greedy miser.

Also, regarding his blog, in general, the guy shares a lot of his personal life there. He doesn't give you the publicist approved version. He talks about the good and the bad. It's probably just that more good has been happening for the guy than bad. What's the guy supposed to do if he's posting about what he's been up to lately? Is he supposed to leave out stuff because people might construe his behavior as self-promotion? Should he not mention signing the Wynn deal and let you read it in the press? Should he not talk about a product endorsement deal because people might think his ego has gotten too big? It's his personal blog! Go read the blogs of most other pros who post only highly sanitized versions of their thoughts. If you think Daniel is a self-promoter go read most of the other pros who only post when they have something to promote.

If half the players had his maturity and class the sport would be much better off (IMHO). :-)
Old 04-27-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, he's relatively young. To have as much composure and class at his age is tough. Look at other players in his age group who win one medium sized tournament and can't even handle that with class.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is in his 30's. He is not in the same age group as Fischman, or even Laak. These are the only two younger guys I can think of that got over-the-top rambunctious winning a medium sized tournament (I would consider these large tournaments). I don't think Esfandiari gets too out-of-line in his antics.

That said, I think Daniel has plenty of class relative to poker players of all ages.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Guess it's easy to see how a famous, respected and prodigious poker-somebody like olliejen can rack up 1018 posts in six months.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh, i'm sure that daniel negreanu is thinking hard, typing madly, and strongly compelled to respond to the 2nd-hand-sewing-circle gossip from the prestigous likes of I_Robot-1-post-Poker-Joe-Nobody...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try, but check out his most recent journal entry
Old 04-27-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess it's easy to see how a famous, respected and prodigious poker-somebody like olliejen can rack up 1018 posts in six months.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was probably a bit harsh, and for that i apologize. but here are some things i'd point out:
1. the passage you quoted from the blog sounds 3rd hand, we don't even know if it happened and if it did, if it actually goes down the way its described.
2. variance does happen and the author glosses over a lot of factors that aren't accounted for. what are "her" hole cards? what are his? who else is in the hand? what are their table images?
3. you may not even be aware of it, but in exposing DN's purported hubris, you come off a bit arrogant and with an "of course, it's obvious! what do you have to say for yourself?" attitude.

its easy to criticize someone who puts himself out there to the degree to which DN has and its like he's being castigated for it.