Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Going for the gold

[ QUOTE ]
Your completely wacked to think someone can make 2BB/100hands playin 4 to 6 tables!!! YOU ARE PLAYING MAINLY ONLY YOUR OWN CARDS AT THIS POINT! If this were true anybody with a solid limit holdem game would be making 500k+ a year because if you can make $150+/hour you don't play just 20 hours a week, you play 80+ hours a week. I like how all your responses reply.. I've seen tons of posts saying they can do it(people lie.. don't believe everything).. I'd like to see some hand histories over the course of 1 year and load them into poker tracker for some proof... GURANTEED NO ONE CAN SUPPLY THEM!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Guaranteed no one WILL supply them. Not because they don't have them, but because such a large database is worth a lot of money.

And for your $2500 a month. That's pretty sad, I make that much doing bonuses and playing $1/$2 and $2/$4 part time.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked myself the same question about why I think I can daytrade better then the others. I really think my experience in poker is what sets me apart. I'm sure there are some day traders that are poker players. There hasn't been an explosion in daytrading like there has in poker. So I would assume most daytraders were trading before the poker explosion, therefore meaning they were trading before they ever played poker. Therefore meaning they had no poker skillz to apply to trading.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, by that logic, you are going to absolutely suck at day trading. After all, you were a poker player before you traded, so you have no skills at day trading and all you can apply to trading are poker "skillz (sic)!" And saying that there hasn't been a day-trading explosion comparable to poker is ridiculous.
[ QUOTE ]
Crackpot armchair-psychologist example

[/ QUOTE ]
Take a step back from this example and think of the event from a wider perspective. In what circumstances is it correct for a company to buy back shares? For that to be a good investment, two conditions must BOTH be met: it has to be a profitable investment, and there must be no better investments available to make.

The only reason for an investor to buy a particular stock is their belief that it will outperform the appropriate index (sort of; I know that's a very basic, deliberately simplified statement). When a company buys back its own stock, it is essentially giving up. It is saying, "We cannot invest this money in any venture which would add more value than the market expects of us at this time." Therefore, they return that capital to shareholders, so that they may reinvest it to gain at least average market returns.

Seen from this view, a company buying back shares is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they are all but admitting that they cannot beat market expectations and therefore increase share price. On the other hand, they are returning capital to shareholders, which is better than sinking that cash into ventures that return less than the index or actually destroy value.

Given this information, the changes in price in your example are not surprising, nor is an understanding of poker bluffs and reads in any way necessary or helpful to understanding them. Guess what? Thousands of investors, if they could be troubled, would analyze that situation much better than you, so I still fail to see how you expect to gain an edge on the market.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:43 AM

I would say, ipso facto, anyone with the handle "wickedgoodtrader" is going to have a zero balance in his Ameritrade account sometime in the next 12 months. Neither poker nor the equities market is easy. And anyone, who at anytime, begins to think that either is, is about to lose all his or her money.

But maybe it's only a 98% probability event.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Successful online poker players make $150+ an hour. They could make $100k a year playing less than 20 hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're talking about the top .01% of all online players right?

I'm being incredibly generous with that figure estimate.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your completely wacked to think someone can make 2BB/100hands playin 4 to 6 tables!!! YOU ARE PLAYING MAINLY ONLY YOUR OWN CARDS AT THIS POINT! If this were true anybody with a solid limit holdem game would be making 500k+ a year because if you can make $150+/hour you don't play just 20 hours a week, you play 80+ hours a week. I like how all your responses reply.. I've seen tons of posts saying they can do it(people lie.. don't believe everything).. I'd like to see some hand histories over the course of 1 year and load them into poker tracker for some proof... GURANTEED NO ONE CAN SUPPLY THEM!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Guaranteed no one WILL supply them. Not because they don't have them, but because such a large database is worth a lot of money.

And for your $2500 a month. That's pretty sad, I make that much doing bonuses and playing $1/$2 and $2/$4 part time.

[/ QUOTE ]

part time: 4 hrs/day = 80 hrs/month (a generous estimate)

let's say $500 is bonuses. (2500-500)/80 = $25/hr = 6.25BB/hr @ 2/4 or 13.5BB/hr @ 1/2.

This whole thread reeks of exaggeration
--------------------------------------------------------

I have a pro friend who is one of the top players at party. He pulls in 2-4 $K/ week on average. $100k/year is pretty easy for him... but $150/hr longrun is asking too much.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pro friend who is one of the top players at party. He pulls in 2-4 $K/ week on average. $100k/year is pretty easy for him... but $150/hr longrun is asking too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend is simply not one of the top players on party. Not even close.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:22 PM

NH, but you are way behind. Just fold.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:25 PM

I'm glad to see I get such a great reception here. I'm basically the only one on this forum who works professionally as a trader. I'm also pretty much the only one who plays poker at higher stakes. Every time I post something people call me a liar. Good luck, you guys are going to need it.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:28 PM

There's been several threads in mid-high that will tell you you're wrong and Paluka is correct.

Reading is fun!!
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM

A lot more than $500 will come from bonuses and rakeback.

But let's say you're right.
4-tabling, ~60 hands/table/hour means 240 hands/hr.
$13.5/hr = 6.75 BB/hr.
(6.75/240)*100 = 2.81 BB/100

So now he's playing strictly 1/2 and only getting $500 in free money, and needs a 2.81BB/100 rate to make $2500 in a month. That's nowhere near unbelievable.