Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Is Soda Bad For You?

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that it's bad for you from many people but I've also heard it's not bad for you from many other people. I'm pretty sure it's bad for your teeth, but what about besides that, for general health. Is soda bad for you? How is it bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

IT is VERY bad for you for a lot of reasons. It effects MANY more parts of your body than just your teeth. I drink about 12oz/month (while bad for you, VERY bad, its delicious)
Old 11-27-2004, 01:21 AM

I used to drink 2L a day when I was in highschool working until midnight most nights at a fast food joint.

I'm still standing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

-SmileyEH

ps. pop not soda
Old 11-27-2004, 01:33 AM

"More than one or two a week is bad. They have no health benefits whatsoever. "

I remember hearing the same thing in HS when they said it was importnat to drink milk not soda to which my response was, is soda bad for you, or is it just that milk is good for you? No one in this thread has given a good answer. How is soda bad for you, what bad consequences does it have?
Old 11-27-2004, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one in this thread has given a good answer

[/ QUOTE ]

Define good.

There are plenty of reasons soda is bad for you, and the information that regular soda and diet soda are bad for you is pretty solid. Look on the internet...it's out there.

I think people have given lots of good reasons that it's bad for you, namely it's acidic and loaded with sugar (in non diet).

The acid in soda isn't just bad for your teeth, it's bad for every part of your system that it passes through. It has also been known to be harmful to bone development, in general.

The sugar aspect is bad too, and has been linked to many cases of diabetes. This is not just my opinion, but what I have heard and read throughout the years.

Those are plenty of reasons for me already, and there are more out there.

EDIT- I'd like too point out that I used to drink WAYYY too much soda. More than any poster I have seen on this thread so far. In fact, that is partly the reason for me having this handle (had it for many years).

It was damaging to my body, and I felt really bad all the time. That's when I started looking into the health related issues of soda. It's nasty stuff.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to drink 2L a day when I was in highschool working until midnight most nights at a fast food joint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah back in high school I used to drink like 1 before school, 1 at school but before 1st period, 1 at lunch, 3-4 at work, and then another 2-3 at night.

I have calmed down considerably though, I'd say I drink on avg 2 a day.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:55 AM

neither are good for you.... drink water.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one in this thread has given a good answer. How is soda bad for you, what bad consequences does it have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you me "good/informative" or "good/definate" but I'll give you an answer that I think is authoritive/definate (does that make sense? Probably not.):

No, pop is not good for you. The sugar alone is reason enough to avoid it. In addition to that the caffine will mess with you body. I would substitute all pop you drink with water, I have.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:02 AM

The sugars main negative effect on the body is fat and tooth decay. For most people that isn't a problem. In my opinion the largest negative factor from soda is from the phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is horrible for your teeth. Also, since it is such a strong acid, it is not good for your body. Your body needs to maintain a proper ph to work correctly. Many disorders have been linked to acidic saliva/blood and they include cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, and many other degenerative diseases. I haven't studied, the cause/effect relationship simply because I didn't care. So I will let you read into as much or as little as you want about that. I will say green vegetables are very important in your diet because they are alkaline.

I know a lot of scientists that tend to experiment with their body and change their diet to adjust their body's chemistry. (It's almost always the super smart ones that do stuff like this.) They limit the amount of acidic foods and increase the amount of alkaline foods. All of them say they feel much better, but that could be just because they are forcing themselves to eat well. I've barely even stared paying attention to what food does to the body, so there are plenty of ways I could be wrong. But from what little I have seen/read, it seems pretty obvious that I need to drastically change my diet and start eating a lot healthier. It sucks, because I really like being a carnivore.

Your body is just a big soup of chemical reactions btw. It can adjust to what you put in it, but it can't work miracles. Eating better will not only give you a healthier, happier life, but it will probably make you a better poker player too. After all, that brain needs to be in tip top working conditions.

Strongly Acid:meat, fish, soft drinks

Mild Acid: grains, legumes, nuts

Mild Alkaline: fruits, vegetables, berries, dairy

Strongly Alkaline: green leafy vegetables, brocoli, spinach
Old 11-27-2004, 05:11 AM

too much sugar is bad for you. what is really bad is the high frutose corn syrup you get in soda. read the label. most drinks do not use sugar anymore. your body proceeses this differently from sugar. plus this crap is coming from genetically modified corn and heavily sprayed. but its effects on you body is no good.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"More than one or two a week is bad. They have no health benefits whatsoever. "

I remember hearing the same thing in HS when they said it was importnat to drink milk not soda to which my response was, is soda bad for you, or is it just that milk is good for you? No one in this thread has given a good answer. How is soda bad for you, what bad consequences does it have?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it that you really want to know? Or you just want to see how many can be listed? If you really want to know, do a web search.

Personally I have to give up sodas because I like them so. I could easily drink 6-8 per day. If someone has no health issues and no trouble maintaining a healthy weight, then I suppose they shouldn't have any problems from drinking sodas.