Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 02:06 PM

Default When is it a compulsory call ?

as an example i'm sitting in the BB with J8 suited, blinds 50. 4 callers round to the button. Button raises to 150. Which means the pot is 425, and I have only got to stick in another 100. so it's offering me 4-1.

Now my question is that many books say that this is a call, infact a call with lmost any 2 cards (obviously not low ones). Is this true bearing in mind there are 5 people to act behind me, and i'm in early pos.

When is it a compulsory call, and how low can your cards be before it becomes a fold no matter what the pot odds are ( with this i mean if the pot is offering more than say 6-1 ) ?

hope this makes sense.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: When is it a compulsory call ?

given your holding, i would say you do not have the odds to call this hand OOP, for the exact reason you listed. There are still 4 players to act behind you. if you were last to act or second last to act, easy call. HOH addresses this very subject.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:27 PM

This is far from a mandatory call. First off in this situation you have FOUR live players to act after you who could re-raise meaning you won't actually end up getting the odds you thought you were getting. Secondly 4-1 odds are significant odds heads-up or 3-way, but in a 5-6 way pot you're getting 4-1 in a spot where your equity in the pot could easily be, and almost certainly is, less than that.

If you're getting big odds like this AND can close the action, and with deep enough stacks then you should definitely call with anything even semi decent.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:35 PM

There are three factors to consider when calling a raise like this. First, how many people are in the pot? If you're heads up and have some chip you can easily call this (or re-steal if you think that'll work). Second, in a multi-way pot as others have said, are you closing the action? If not, there's certainly more risk to playing but if the initial limper has been very loose maybe you call anyway. I wouldn't make a habit of that but it's a possibility. Third, and very important, what are your implied odds if you hit your hand. And when I say hit your hand I'm not talking about just top pair here. I will often just check-fold top pair against a few opponents with a hand like J9s. I'm looking to flop two pair, trips, pair and a draw, etc. The chance of that happening is about 20 to 1. So if you don't have at least 20 to 1 implied odds it's not worth playing in a multi-way pot.