Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Your Saw Flop%

Hmmm, I truly believe the percentage should change over the course of a MTT.

At the early levels when the stacks are deep or close to deep I force myself to see flop with a wide range of hands, even calling raises with a lot of trash, and thereby having a flop-% of 25 - 30 over the first half hour. The point is to give myself a chance to hit a flop hard and double my stack before it suddenly becomes shortish (M below 20), which at PokerStars happens after 30 minutes at level 3, unless I increase my chip count substantially.

After the initial phase I agree completely with a flop-% of around 10 - again depending on the texture of your table (aggressive table -> lower %, passive table -> higher %).

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 12-29-2005, 12:00 PM

I think the larger point is that early on in your career you should be dumping hands that look pretty but are actually mediocre at best. (All of this depends on blinds, opponents, stacks, etc., but folding AJ and KQ in EP, suited connectors in EP or even MP, will keep you out of trouble until you have a better handle on post-flop play, and bring down your flop percentages.) While there are some situations early in tournaments when you can hang around with marginal hands, they are called marginal for a reason.

The biggest change in my game over the last six months or so (and it has gotten better) is this: I fold more.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Isn't this stat a little schewd? It is accounting only for Flops Seen. This doesn't include the hands you play and win without a flop or raise/limp and fold to aggression.

This may be more of an indicator of how tight of a caller you are, correct?

I gotta believe more hands are being played one way or another and not included in this particular stat.

Hotrod
Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, I truly believe the percentage should change over the course of a MTT.

At the early levels when the stacks are deep or close to deep I force myself to see flop with a wide range of hands, even calling raises with a lot of trash, and thereby having a flop-% of 25 - 30 over the first half hour. The point is to give myself a chance to hit a flop hard and double my stack before it suddenly becomes shortish (M below 20), which at PokerStars happens after 30 minutes at level 3, unless I increase my chip count substantially.

After the initial phase I agree completely with a flop-% of around 10 - again depending on the texture of your table (aggressive table -> lower %, passive table -> higher %).

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree completely, this was what i was going to say. In the first few levels I have somewhere between 20-30 and tightening significantly later.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this stat a little schewd? It is accounting only for Flops Seen. This doesn't include the hands you play and win without a flop or raise/limp and fold to aggression.

This may be more of an indicator of how tight of a caller you are, correct?

I gotta believe more hands are being played one way or another and not included in this particular stat.

Hotrod

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a way that this can be factored in or does PT or PO track this sort of stuff? I know that something I have recently started doing was writing down my starting stack, #entrants, where I rank, Flop%, #hands dealt and played, Pots won with showdown, and without showdown. I update at each break. I cant use Poker Office while playing on stars, freezes up everytime.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:25 PM

As a longtime lurker, this is an intersting thread. Lots of advice on the site seems to fall into the "don't be scared to push small edges to double up or go broke," which implied to me sometimes to be a little looser and pick good spots to apply pressure. But 5-15% seems very rock like for starting hand selection. Perhaps I should tighten up especially since the people advocating this range all are respected players.

What do you suppose a player like Gigabet's saw flop % is?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:27 PM

it doesn't imply that you should be looser. If you raise AJ utg or call a raise with KJ, you're not pushing a small edge, you're making a -EV play
Old 12-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Uh... my VPIP is around 33% so I suspect I'm a bit of a loose maniac. I checked the my stats from the last 11r I won and I was 34% VPIP and 19% PFR. The numbers for each were skewed somewhat higher for the beginning and end of the tournaments. (Obviously the beginning for the rebuy and the end for the shorthanded play / constant stealing.)
Even taking that into consideration, I don't think these numbers are out of line for me.
I know I have leaks. I've been working on them-- playing much fewer hands in EP was a good start. I also have a tendency to become too passive when stacks are deep. This one REALLY bothers me & I'm making time to play more deep stack events to learn how to play these spots better without losing lots of chips.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:09 PM

I seem to end up with 17% VPIP no matter what happens or what tourney I'm in. I guess the consistency is good, but my results seem to be lacking lately. I guess I'll keep trucking and swee what happens.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:36 PM

Out of curiosity, how much higher would people put this percentage broken down for each hour, or in relation to their ring game percentage?