Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Default How do you rule here?

1/2 NL at Borgata. Seat 6 has the button and I make a standard raise from seat 4. I only get 1 caller, seat 10, and we both have stacks of close to $300. The two of us see a flop, I have position, and after 30 seconds of nothing happening I notice my opponent looking at me like it's my turn to act. I ask the dealer if it's on me, she says yes, and I immediately check. My opponent then pushes, claiming he had not checked. The dealer says the bet stands and I must call it if I want to see a turn. I'm confident my opponent was not angle shooting; it's possible he was absorbed in analying the hand and it's also possible he didn't realise he was first to act. When the dealer told me it was on me I checked instantly so my opponent didn't have time to contradict her (although he could have answered me directly).

As I see it I did absolutely nothing wrong up to this point yet my opponent now has an advantage he's not entitled to. What's the relevant rule here?

I didn't call the floor because I missed the flop so badly that I didn't think it worth slowing the game to get a free look at the turn. The flop was something like 9c Tc Jc and I had 6h 7h. Would you call the floor anyway?

The thing that annoyed me most was the attitude of the dealer. There are some excellent dealers at Borgata but also some terrible ones. This dealer was not particularly interested in the game, didn't bother to gather information before ansering my question, and was not at all apologetic.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: How do you rule here?

I believe the check through stands??? Although if he's willing to push a $300 stack into that pot (I assume $20-$50) I would not make any fuss at all.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:03 AM

It doesn't look like she cost you any money with her incompetence. Actually, if anything, she might have saved you money as she gave you a good reason not to tip her.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:58 AM

If it can be clearly determined that your opponent had not acted yet, then he may do so regardless of dealer error. It sucks for you this time, but if you were him, would you want to be FORCED to check because the dealer screwed up and didn't bother giving you a proper chance to act? I doubt it.

The dealer should have been paying more attention. I'd kick 'em in the nuts, but you said it was a "she," so that kinda complicates things. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 12-27-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it can be clearly determined that your opponent had not acted yet, then he may do so regardless of dealer error. It sucks for you this time, but if you were him, would you want to be FORCED to check because the dealer screwed up and didn't bother giving you a proper chance to act? I doubt it.

The dealer should have been paying more attention. I'd kick 'em in the nuts, but you said it was a "she," so that kinda complicates things. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if the player did something which indicated a check to the dealer (even if unintentional), and if the problem is that the dealer didn't have the confidence to hold the player to the check when he insisted he didn't check. Either way it is a dealer error. So many players check by making small movements and many players have what I call bouncey hands that are constantly banging the table that it is easy for a dealer to see a check even where there is no check intended.

I know at least one player who sets this up as an angle. throughout the night he will stare at his opponent until the opponent acts. If either the player or dealer tells him it is his action he will claim that he already checked long ago. Then later on in the evening he will stare at his opponent and wait for his opponent to act, if the opponent checks he will announce that he hasn't acted yet and bet.