Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Wineophiles

this pinot grigio might be the best under 40$/bottle white i've ever had in my life, i buy 4-6 bottles at a time

http://www.thewinebuyer.com/159727
Old 12-21-2005, 02:01 AM

I don't know where you live, but if you can get wine shipped (check out the web for info), here are a few sure-fire winners for less than 20 bucks. They are hard to find in a liquor store, so that's why I suggest web ordering.

www.fellom.com

Fellom Ranch. I love their 2000 and 2001 Zinfindel (Saratoga). Lots of coffee, fruit, and just amazing. I think it's like 18/btl. If you buy a case, it's even cheaper. This winery is a guy in his house, and the label is a drawing of his property. It's cool as hell, and Ed Miller loved it, so you know it's good. They also make a nice Ruby Port.

http://www.fogartywinery.com/gewurztraminer.html

Thomas Fogarty. They make a top-notch Estate Pinot, but that's like 50 bucks a bottle. However, they also make what is regarded as the best domestic Gewurztraminer. It's excellent every year. 17 bucks/btl and the best value in wine I've ever had.

http://www.savannahchanelle.com/

Savannah Chanelle. One of Boris' favorite joints. Again, they make an excellent Cab Franc that is a truly amazing wine (2001 vintage). There's only a bit left, so get it while it's around. It's out of your range (~ 30/btl), but I'd pay 2.5 times that for this wine. They make a really fun table wine that is like 10 bucks called Pierre's Ghost. It's a blend of Syrah, this Cab Franc, and Zin (IIRC). An excellent wine and one of the best for the money around. They were clearing out some Estate Chard recently that was a great buy for < 20/btl, too.

I don't know what the numerical ratings of these wines are, and I'm not really into them, since I know there's so much hokiness that goes on with these bulk tastings (bribery, other BS). However, I can tell you that every one of these wines are just excellent. I have all of them in my collection, and since they are hard to find outside of big wine areas, people will appreciate them. Of course, they'll get hooked and you'll have to be their pipeline in the future, and this just takes care of more gifts in the future, never a bad thing. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 AM

Oooooooooooo. Ruby Port! Never developed a taste for Tawny Port but the ruby is entirely different. Good stuff. Might have to check this place out.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:31 PM

http://www.stuffmagazine.com/includes/po...McKellar_l5.jpg
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oooooooooooo. Ruby Port! Never developed a taste for Tawny Port but the ruby is entirely different. Good stuff. Might have to check this place out.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would u drink a port wine
yuck
Old 12-23-2005, 01:20 AM

I'm telling you, tawny port and ruby port are two entirely different animals. Tawny port is an odd taste, but ruby is much, much different. Don't assume they are the same without trying the ruby.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:58 AM

i have had them both, it was one of my classes i had to take while in culinary school, only drunks drink ports because there a fortified wine, usually with brandy