Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Am I a donkey?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Going all in with QQ is the same as going in with 27" in certain situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm...okay

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know the other two Queens are out, and the villain accidentally shows AA, it is about the same.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 PM

nice juan
Old 12-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Are you saying that you should NEVER fold QQ in early position when reraised later in a tournament?

There aren't too many spots that come to my mind, but I just
hate preaching NEVER. Poker is a game of people and incomplete information, so never playing a hand one particular way can't be correct.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 12-12-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Going all in with QQ is the same as going in with 27" in certain situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm...okay

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know the other two Queens are out, and the villain accidentally shows AA, it is about the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

those other 2 queens that are out, did they just get up and go see a show or something?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that you should NEVER fold QQ in early position when reraised later in a tournament?

There aren't too many spots that come to my mind, but I just
hate preaching NEVER. Poker is a game of people and incomplete information, so never playing a hand one particular way can't be correct.

Bruce

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

I said you need a pretty good read to fold them to a single reraise.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:14 PM

You are certainly not a donkey for getting it all in preflop with QQ. That being said, you raised UTG, 3xBB to 600 and got popped to 3600. People say "that is not how I would play AA", but IMO this is like AA or KK pretty much all the time (assuming player is tight). You are still really deep in terms of BB and you said you think you have an edge over the table, and you're going up against one of the few people that can bust you, so I would probably let it go. Obviously if I had a read that this guy was LAG, or that he had been reraising like this a lot preflop, or if stacks are not as deep, it turns it into an easy call/push.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:15 PM

It's poker. But for your comment about pushing him off AK in a $20 180 person tourney, not going to happen...you are gonna race.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:23 PM

Read on LP? Hard to say without it, but at most, I'm calling his re-raise. I do not have the discipline to lay down QQ pf in this situation.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think too many players put their opponents on a hand by the size of a raise or reraise. I think this is a big leak.
Good players mix their raises.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, you raised UTG, 3xBB to 600 and got popped to 3600. People say "that is not how I would play AA", but IMO this is like AA or KK pretty much all the time (assuming player is tight).

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of agree. With an initial raise to 600, a raise to 1000, 1200, or 1500, might be a big pair. But the large raise is also suspicious. Particularly with the stack sizes here, unless hero folds to the big reraise, he is likely in for all his chips.

Whenever, villain makes an unusual size bet in nay situation, you have to suspect either a very strong hand or a semibluff or bluff.

The large raise could easily also be AK or AQ trying to take the pot on a semibluff. However, that is less likely at this level of tournament, where people are less likely to fold to a reraise.