Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Furgeson says have to be very intelligent! Is he right?

[ QUOTE ]
(1) There are many players that are atop the poker world who are not very intelligent. (2) And many players that are very intelligent that are not atop the poker world.

[/ QUOTE ]
(1) is clearly false.
(2) is clearly true.
And throughout the thread, the OP has clearly illustrated (3): There are many players who are neither intelligent nor atop the poker world.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 AM

Yes you are right. So i have proven my point that. I'm not intelligent but i'm better poker player than every person who insulted me in this thread. Thanks for helping my argument, even though it was meant in hate. You did some good.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:15 AM

Thanks again for avoiding the question. Of you calling me a liar when its right there in the OP. Its much easier to ignore than to admit your wrong and apologize. i understand. its ok i forgive you.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 AM

ENGLISH ONLY PLEASE!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 AM

can this thread be locked down immediately? seriously. lock it. please?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
?? Please elaborate instead of flinging insults. I put him in caps because he is considered one of the best live and tournament players around by many. And as far as i know wasn't any high scholar. If i am wrong i apologize. That he has a masters and such. If he does i'm wrong and apologize for adding him in. I just guessd on most of these guys by knowing a little of there backrounds that they aren't road scholars. If some of them are that i delete them form the list. Either way your attitude is highly uncalled for. Can't we have a discussion without all the insults. Why the anger?

[/ QUOTE ]
Scholarly and intelligent aren't synonyms. Ivey is wicked smart. It was stupid for you to include him.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:40 AM

Not singling out anyone out. But just showing someone a winning style they would have success regarldless if they were very intelligent or not. And you challenged me to name one stupid person. That is much different than not being very intelligent. Although if u taught a stupid person the playing style of phil Ivey. As long as he was smart enough to copy what he was shown would have success playing tournaments.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although if u taught a stupid person the playing style of phil Ivey. As long as he was smart enough to copy what he was shown would have success playing tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's my point. It isn't possible for stupid people to be smart enough to copy Ivey's style. Ivey's style requires great perception and great analytical quickness: it can't be taught to someone who doesn't have the skills to apply it. I might as well try to teach a pig to solve quantum physics problems.

Boiling it down, intelligence is a necessary but not a sufficient condition to be a great poker player. Thus, you cannot find any stupid people who are great players. You can of course find many brilliant people who are awful players.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:26 AM

It takes intelligence to play poker, and to play poker well. People attack the game from many angles. Me? Im not uber into statistics, but I memorize well, so I have simply memorized the typical statistical problems I come up against in poker. There are many other types of intellect that can react well in poker. Phil Ivey is intensely smart, he does very quick mental calculations on the spot, which not many people can do.

I think it only furthers my point that it takes intelligence to be good, when you consider that most people who are donaters arent smart enough to realize it.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm better poker player than every person who insulted me in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys can say what you like about Smoothcall but there is no doubt that the above statment is true.

Vince