Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 06:36 AM

Default The Master Plan

Well, it's tough to make the right decision when your ass is on the line (and maybe that's why I'm still up @ 5 in the morning), so I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice...

I'll save you from the stupid details and go straight to the relevant info.

My goal for the next 2 months is to make ~$6000 playing poker. There's just one big caveat to my goal: my starting BR is $260. I'm OK w/ 4-tabling, have ~1600 STTs played @ PP.

Assuming that I can hit 30% ROI @ the $6s, 20% ROI @ the $11s and a 15% ROI @ the $22s (I have no idea how I'd run @ the $33s & $55s, I have very little tournies played at those levels), what would be your plan? Would you try 8-tabling in the middle of all this?

I did some very bad BR management in the past, and if there's something I learned from my own stupid mistakes is not to move up before having 50BI for the next level. I'm gonna start by 4-tabling the $6s @ Empire to get rakeback and I have a plan for the rest, but I really would like to know what would you do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: The Master Plan

If I were in your shoes, I'd just start at the 11s right away. But feeling comfortable with your bankroll is important, so move up when you are ready. By your ROI and bankroll numbers, we have:

6*(162 games)*(.3 ROI) = $290 profit
11*(250 games)*(.2 ROI) = $550 profit
22*(1485 games)*(.15 ROI) = $4900 profit

So to hit $6000, if you go straight by the averages, you'll play 1896 games. Over 2 months, that's about 31-32 games per day.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My goal for the next 2 months is to make ~$6000 playing poker. There's just one big caveat to my goal: my starting BR is $260. I'm OK w/ 4-tabling, have ~1600 STTs played @ PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say? Plan to play a lot of SNGs.

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that I can hit 30% ROI @ the $6s, 20% ROI @ the $11s and a 15% ROI @ the $22s

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also not assume any of this, especially if this is based on past stats over:

[ QUOTE ]
~1600 STTs played @ PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how long it took to get that last 1600, but if it was any more than 1 month, expect the grind to hurt your future results. You are basically planning to play way more than that in the next two months and it is gonna suck. I also wouldn't assume this if you are planning on playing empire much.

I'd also probably start at the 10s, even with only 260

If forced, I'd bet against you succeeding.

Still, good luck.

Regards
Brad S
Old 11-02-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
31-32 games per day

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'll need more than that, and there's no way I could do this playing every day.

(actually, there's no way I could do this. period. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

One other thing that the OP should maybe consider is allowing himself to more aggressively move up in stakes. ROR would still be very very low if he drops down in the face of a bad swing.

At very least, I might take my second thousand of profit and allocate that towards an independent 'move up' bankroll

this gives 30 buy-ins at the 33s. If you lose it, whatever, you are playing a lot of SNGs anyways. 7000 is a lot like 6000. If you win with it though! This all gets so much easier.

Regards
Brad S
Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 AM

i'd stay at the 6's till the BR hit $400. then i'd 4-8 table the 11's, and jump to the 22's at a $700 to $800 BR.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:07 AM

Is there a reason you need $6k in two months? If not, I say avoid 8 tabling until you can at least beat the 33s consistently 4 or less tabling. What you'll miss in $ in the next few months will be more than made up for by the $ you make later when you get to the 109s sooner since you learned the game better.

That was a horrible run-on sentence, but I like it, so that's what you get.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:16 AM

30 tournies a day as an average for the next 2 months would probably drive me insane. I'm more than comfortable with 20 / day (including breaks, days that life is more important than poker, etc).

I can play 40 tournies a day for about a week and after that I start really feeling the grind. I think 1200 tournies is a realistic number for 2 months.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd stay at the 6's till the BR hit $400. then i'd 4-8 table the 11's, and jump to the 22's at a $700 to $800 BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good

But I wouldn't play at Empire - not even if they gave me 50% rakeback.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I wouldn't play at Empire - not even if they gave me 50% rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I learned from my own stupid mistakes is not to move up before having 50BI for the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think at least 1000 at the level below with a 15% or better ROI (more or less depending on the BI level) is a much better indicator of whether to move up...but thats me. 50BIs can come from anywhere and are not alone indicative of your ability to beat the next level.

i.e. If I win an MTT, I am not moving up in my SNG level because I have 200 BIs...just as an example. Also many go on a heater for 200 SNGs and think theyre ready.

To op: If you have played the 33-55s over a long stretch and feel you can beat them, then I think your plan is fine...Of course I think money goals are stupid, but I'll leave that alone.

PS, If your plan is being in dire need of this money, then like others have said, ROR should take a back seat to pushing your profits...best of luck to you!