Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Tough spot with an overpair (50-100). A possible squeeze play?

My first strategy post in quite some time. Game is 4 handed 50-100. I pick up KhKs UTG and raise to 325. Button and BB call.

Flop: 6h 5h 2s
BB checks I bet 800. Button calls, BB pushes for 5k. BB is the reason the game exists. I would happily call his push headup and would expect to win a large percentage of the time (he could literally have anything here, he is randomly aggressive and somewhat tilted). I call, hoping the button gets out. Button calls.

Turn (6h 5h 2s) Ts
I bet 3500, button pushes, I have 12k left and he covers.

A few thoughts. Villain is a super-aggressive player. From previous encounters I know he generally plays his draws fast on the flop as well as his big made hands. This situation, with a dry side pot, could alter his behavior though. Villain views me as a tightish player, and frequently pushes me out of pots. Additionally, he knows the BB probably doesnt have much, and also knows that I am going to have a real hard time calling with an overpair here. I will feel like a donk if I call his push only to see 66, but I will feel equally stupid if he squeezed me out with something like 88-jj. I think he smoothcalls with a heart draw on the flop, but only raises on the turn if the ten gave him a reasonable hand to win the main pot with (someting like jhth). Like I mentioned earlier, with a set or straight his general line is to push real hard on the flop, but hes certainly capable of mixing it up.

So, what do you do facing the push? My immediate thought was to instamuck, but the more I thought the more unsure I was. Anyone check the turn?

-Evan