View Poll Results: What does pwnd mean?
You have been owned 6 60.00%
code word for bad beat 1 10.00%
You are dumb for answering this question 0 0%
you eat oranges in the morning 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Should I Put My Cat Down?

I wouldn't put the cat down until its quality of life was reduced noticably. Crapping on the floor sometimes doesn't mean she's in pain - in fact, from your description it sounds like she's doing quite well. Also, 11 isn't a very high age for a cat, so I say keep the money at hand in case the situation worsens significantly but no need to end her life right now.

Swede
Old 08-26-2005, 07:36 PM

Does he have a urinary tract infection?

Before we put my cat to sleep, we saw him 'try' to pee, but he couldn't do it. Turns out he had something similar to a kidney stone that ended up blocking his urethra. We took him to the vet, they disolved the stone, and everything was fine for a few hours...then another stone, another blockage. Turns out he had a cancerous tumor on his bladder that was (somehow) creating these blockages. He was actually in a lot of pain, and we didn't know it.

Does your cat seem happy (ask him if you aren't sure). If so, and if he doesn't have a urinary tract infection, and he's not in pain, why not let him live?

Josh
Old 08-26-2005, 07:41 PM

Hey bud.

Thanks for your help in the SS NLHE forums, and sorry to hear about your cat. I didn't really like cats until I went out with a girl that had 7 of them (yes, 7), but I've really grown to like them since.

If you can stand the meowing, try your best to find some sort of solution to her crapping everywhere. This might include using some sort of large cage that she can walk around. If you can play P/NLHE as well as you can think about it, you should be able to afford this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The key here is that the cat isn't in pain and still enjoys your company. If you were to get a large wire enclosure, that she could see out of, and still spend some time with her, then this might not be such a bad idea.

---

My favourite cat of my ex-gf's was Scamper... kinda dumb name, but AWESOME cat!

They'd been walking home and had found him in a ditch, dirty and he had some blood on his head. Someone had thrown them out of their car. The owner of the property said that people did that a lot with cats around this area. They took him home and cleaned him up.

The was a really friendly cat, but he was a little goofy and had absolutely no sense of balance whatsoever. As a result, you could pick him up just under his hips, hold him upside down, and pet his belly. If you were petting him on your lap, you had to be careful because he might just roll right off of you and only the floor head-first.

Again, awesome cat. He ended up getting hit by a car, but he had a very good life when he was with her family.

I hope this works out for you.

Take care, man.
--Dave.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 PM

Well, it is a bit different if it is poop rather than pee, but I still have a suggestion. A good rule of thumb for litterboxes is cats + 1. You have two cats, so you should have 3 litterboxes around the house. If you dont, you might add another one or two and see if that makes a difference. Definitely give this a try before you decide to put her down and see if it helps.

If she is upset about the recent schedule change, she may eventually get used to only going out at night and adjust. Of course, that may not even be related, but it could be.

Also, since she had her teeth cleaned recently, she probably had some bloodwork done, so she is probably ok in that respect. HTH.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 PM

If she's only 11, she's almost certainly not senile. My girlfriend had two cats live to be almost 20 and both were in their right minds when they went.

Take her to a vet.

And keep in mind, the two incidents you're mentioning (howling and failure to use the litter box) may be unrelated. In particular is her little box kept really clean? Have you changed kitty litter brands (cats can be really picky)? If she was an outdoor cat, she may be used to going to the bathroom outside and it might take some time for her to get used to being inside and using the box all the time.

She may well be howling to go outside. Or she may have picked up an infection that can be cleared up quickly and easily.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 PM

There are a number of things that are notably bad for cats, among them milk (yes, milk), chocolate, onions, garlic, and some other stuff. look at cats.about.com and search around for the article. Even if you don't fully believe it, it's worth looking into before unknowingly giving him/her something you think might be harmless, but is not.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a number of things that are notably bad for cats, among them milk (yes, milk), chocolate, onions, garlic, and some other stuff. look at cats.about.com and search around for the article. Even if you don't fully believe it, it's worth looking into before unknowingly giving him/her something you think might be harmless, but is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great website for research is persian kitty Lots of good stuff to be gotten from there.

Swede
Old 08-26-2005, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, they're appreciated. I just talked to my mom a second ago and she is really insisting that we need to put her down. She insists the cat is senile and there is nothing we can do. I've suggested we take her to the vet once more and have them do another screening. Perhaps it's something much more simple, and less serious, than senility, and maybe we can get her fixed up. She doesn't seem to be budging.

To be honest, she likes the other cat much more, it seems that she doesn't really care about this one. Oh well, my cat will end up at the vet for sure. I'll let you guys know how it goes..

Again, thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 PM

I really think a visit to the vet is the best thing before making such a major decision. THe meowing could very well be pain. Is you cat walking any differently than normal, or is she just slow to react to things. At her age you definetly need to start watching her joints more cause of wear and tear, she could have a bad hip or shoulder
Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 PM

I haven't noticed anything changing in her walking, but arthritis seems plausible. She whines whenever she gets picked up. Her nails get stuck in the carpet when she walks around. Whenever I pick her up her nails get stuck in my clothes, I have to gently take them out before I set her down. I'll have to have the vet trim her nails again.