Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Was this ITM all-in call correct?

The button had been very aggressive, pushing a lot of hands. Not sure if he was 2+2 but it seemed possible. Was this push call correct from the perspective of basic SNG strategy? I figured that I was likely behind but not necessarily far behind. Getting about 1.35-1 on my money I call.

I have a few questions. First, was my call correct or a mistake? Relatedly, what is the minimum hand that you would call with in this situation (considering button's aggression)?

Second, what is the minimum hand that you would push with in button's position?

Comments/criticism is appreciated. Thanks.

Second

Table Table 35270 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 3: m007pinoy ( $3150 )
Seat 6: MrBurns8 ( $1840 )
Seat 8: DIT71 ( $3010 )
Trny:14678631 Level:8
Blinds(200/400)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to MrBurns8 [ Jd Ts ]
m007pinoy is all-In [3150]
MrBurns8 is all-In [1640]
DIT71 folds.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Was this ITM all-in call correct?

I don't like it. Much better to fold this and push the next hand no matter what cards you get.

For me to call I would like A7, 66+ KJs+ or something. Might call with lower if I am convinced he is pushing any two.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:00 PM

The only way this call is correct is if villain is pushing any 2 here which isn't very likely.

I mean dude, you have JTos. It is NOT a good hand. You have almost no hands crushed unless he is pushing any jack high and a bunch of ten high hands. You are in the SB and have somebody left to act behind you. You are somewhat short stacked but you can still push from the button with a marginal amount of fold equity.

I can't believe you said this, "I figured that I was likely behind but not necessarily far behind." and then still called. Why on Earth would you call when you are behind almost any hand villain could hold? I just don't get it.

This call is awful unless button's range is verging on any two, which is unlikely. I would want something along the lines of a7+, 44+, kt+. I MIGHT call with QJs if the guy was a complete loon.

I would be pushing a-x, k5s+, q7s+, j9s+, 22+. I'd probably push t9s as well but I'd close my eyes before I did it.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it. Much better to fold this and push the next hand no matter what cards you get.

I second the motion
Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 PM

Even if he's pushing 70% of his hands (i.e. 22+,A2+,K2+,Q2+,J2+,T5o+,T2s+,96o+,94s+,87o,85s+,7 5s+) , your call hand range according to SGA is:

33+,A2+,K7o+,K4s+,Q9o+,Q8s+,JTs (32%)

What percentage of hands do you feel he is capable of pushing here? How much better than your opponents do you rate yourself (i.e. is the other guy just begging to go all in soon)?

I would say this is probably a solid fold. It takes quite a wide range of push hands before calling with Jx is correct.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. The calling/pushing advice was particularly helpful.