Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

View Poll Results: Should Wacki get a life?
Wacki does not need to get a life 23 63.89%
Wacki needs to get a life 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Seperate PLO8 and Limit O/8 Forums?

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm. So handling the quarters is a big part of limit Omaha?

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read my post. I said handling the quarters is a big part of PLO8-- not limit. It is not a part of PLO at all which was my point. It does factor into your betting in limit 08, however, in terms of how you bet, just not often to the point of forcing you to fold the nuts. Though you may handle the splits somewhat differently, you are still playing the same game. PLO is a different game entirely.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:03 AM

You are so right.

In PLO cash tables and PLO/8 cash tables, there are competely different objectives being persued, except to win the maximum pot possible, which is a given.

The PLO fellow almost always scoops or ties sometimes; the O/8 player may scoop, 3/4, be 1/6-ed, or whatever. These possibilities in O/8 make it a much more complicated (mathematical) game than PLO on the surface sometimes.

However, PLO reaches very far outside the O/8 universe. It resembles PL Holdem or even NL Holdem to me.

Isn't that enough reasom to keep them separate?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:09 AM

I disagree. I think there are enough similarities, and not enough posts.

People could help out by titling their post better.

I also play a fair amount of tournaments- both SnG, and MTT that are PLO/8. SO you could argue that should have it's own forum too, but you seperate things too much, and each forum will only have a couple posts.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:16 AM

I agree, titling posts better would help. But as for the argument that there won't be enough posts, I don't think that is a very valid argument. Who cares if there isn't a hundred posts a day in each section. As long as there are enough posts to keep the sections moving, then there really can't be a big downside to having seperate sections.

For the people who voted no, other than not having enough posts, what other disadvantages would having seperate sections cause?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Big Dave D,

I read your blog and am a big fan. I think your intimate knowledge of each game allows to you to see the differences more vividly than others do. So please be a a bit more forgiving!

In my opinion the 3 games (PLO, PLO8 and LO8) are so different as to warrant their own sections. I see little downside to having separate sections. We can ask all we want of posters for better titles, but it will likely never happen perfectly.

Fewer posts in each? meh, as they say...
Old 07-30-2005, 07:57 AM

Comparing big bet poker to limit will always be an apple and oranges thing. Comparing PLO8 and LO8 is about as useful as comparing LHE to Kansas City Lowball.

The ability to manipulate the pot size is the overriding factor.

Rob
Old 07-30-2005, 12:00 PM

might as well get a separate hilo heads up and shorthanded forum as well. Actually this forum is slow enough to have limit, pl, nl, hush oe. And they all pretty much belong here, even if they are different. I think titles is the most reasonable solution until more trafic is generated.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:17 PM

It's amazing how often I don't understand reasoning that seems obvious to other people. Why does it matter how much traffic there is? It seems only to matter what is convenient for people.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:24 PM

I agree, the number of posts seems to be a pretty silly criteria if you ask me. Obviously there are enough posts to warrant bringing up the question in the first place, which should be all that matters.

Better question, when we finally get our PLO8 forum, whose butt do we have to kiss to get the existing posts moved there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 06:11 PM

It's amazing how often when someone doesn't understand my reasoning I'm wrong.
But it goes like this.

New forums are generality created out of necessity. Trafic in a particular forum becoming unmanageable would force 2+2 to do something.

The left nav would become unusable if every grainular aspect had it's own forum. So some lumping of gmaes that are close but not the same is Ok in my book.

As far as convience goes, the convience of having both pl and limit oe in one forum works for me. It's much better than having to look thru PLO where PL high low posts use to go, or having them in other poker. And since the forum was limit only for awhile I think PLO posters will be stuck with the burden of titling their posts. So I'm changing my vote to yes, What harm is it to get one extra forum