Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 08:39 PM

Default My first hand that is posted.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed)

-UTG and MP3 is pretty unknown to me since i haven't played many hands with them before this hand, but as many others at 0.10/0.20, i think their are loose and not skilled players.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9s, 9h.
UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 4 folds, UTG caps, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

-When UTG raises i think that if i'm gonna win the pot I have to try to get HU on the flop and win with my high pair strenght (of course hitting a third 9 would be nice), so I three-bet hoping that nobody behind me will call.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 8c, Qd, 7c (3 players)
UTG bets, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

-When i see a Q on the flop and UTG bets, i still think that I should'nt fold cause i think that it's a big chance that my pair is still the best hand. I'm thinking and reading a textured flop, but the time is running out, so i just call.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 5h (3 players)
UTG bets, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 8d (3 players)
UTG bets $0.15 (All-In), Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

I feel that i was way too passive cause i did'nt raise post-flop (making MP3 fold and increase the chance to be drawn out) and on the turn since I belived that my 99 was probably the best.But because of the Q i just called it down. Would it be better to raise post-flop or just fold? Did i play really bad or OK?

I'm a new player from Norway and have read an re-read SSH, and play 3-table at 0.10/0.20. I will soon move up to 0.25/50. I'm kind of poor so that's also a reason why i'm playing micro-limit. I don't personaly know any good limit-players so like many others i study much on my own.

Thanks for comments on the hand
Old 11-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: My first hand that is posted.

With your line you don't really get much information about how good your 99 really is. So instead of just calling it down, I would throw in a raise on the flop (He may have missed or the Q is scary to him too, read 99-JJ) and if MP3 is cold call and UTG 3-bet I will probably throw it away fearing an overpair or that he paired the Q with his AQ. I'm not sure if I throw it away since the turn card can possibly give me a gutshot straight draw or an OESD with a 10 or 6 being turned.

I raise the flop and re-evaluate on the turn. It gives me more information and MP3 may fold so it will just be HU from the flop and on.

EDIT: Oh yea, if you want to talk on msn or something about hands etc, send me a PM. We Scandinavians should stick together [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 PM

Welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like the way that you 3-bet preflop to try to get the hand heads up in a loose game.

The flop probably wasnt too bad for you, and I think that you are correct that it would have been better for you to raise than call.

If you had then succeeded in getting the rest of the hand heads up, you could have just called down.

I dont think that you played the hand that badly, and SSH is a good book. I am sure that you will find joining this forum to be very helpful to your game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 09:03 PM

I like the preflop play. Postflop you have a problem since UTG has so little money left. A lot of people just donk of their last few bucks before they leave. It's not like he's going to fold in that hand, and have 2 BB the next hand. He's probably going to bet all the way, no matter what. I'd reraise the flop, hoping to drive MP3 out. The pot is so big that he's not that likely to fold, but since UTG can have anything(hopefully AK in this case), getting MP3 out is adding a lot to your equity. When/if MP3 folds, you might aswell just bet out the turn to put him all in right away.

Edit: I'm Norwegian too, and like you I've also read SSHE quite a few times, but still learning from every session I play. Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:58 AM

Thank you for answering. The conclution is that i should've raised on the flop.

The rest of the hand:

UTG has 6s 6c (two pair, eights and sixes).
Hero has 9s 9h (two pair, nines and eights).
MP3 has 7d 3d (two pair, eights and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 AM

I don't mind calling the flop. MP3 called 3 cold behind you and is still to act.
This way you can see the reaction behind you and wait for a safe turn.

I'm raising the the safe card on the turn and I'm folding to a 3bet without a maniac read.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 AM

Welcome to 2+2!

Grunch (I'm providing my thoughts prior to reading any other post):

First of all, raising 99 to a no read UTG open raise is very -EV at almost any level, and certainly at .25/.50 and up. I fold this hand. That said, if you do think he's on tilt, I call the bet only if I'm continuing as I don't like 99 capped. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
On the flop, you must bet to see where you stand. If MP# calls and UTG raises, then I fold. 99 only beats 2 bluffs, and the calls from MP3 indicate that at least one of them isn't bluffing. I think you are behind most of the time in this situation, and can avoid it altogether by folding pf.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:55 AM

welcome to the forums.

don't 3-bet an unknown player preflop with 99.
but given that you played, 3-betting is superior to calling.
definitely raise the flop and take it from there.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 AM

Hi upnorth welcome to the forums. I would have raised the turn especially since it would have put UTG all in so you have no risk of getting 3-bet and you put alot of pressure on MP3. Even if UTG had plenty of money i would have raised the turn and folded to a 3-bet.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to 2+2!

Grunch (I'm providing my thoughts prior to reading any other post):

First of all, raising 99 to a no read UTG open raise is very -EV at almost any level, and certainly at .25/.50 and up. I fold this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

I find this interesting, because 99 will winn only 1 of 5 times against higher pair, and it's slightly over fifty-fifty fav against two higher cards. When a UTG raises it often wil not be a weaker hand than 99.