Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: A2o hand in SB

[ QUOTE ]
regular Bay 101 20/40

5 limpers, 2 very bad, i complete in SB with A2o.

flop is A93r, checked to button(unknown 40 yr old white dude) who bets, I check raise, all fold, he calls.

turn pairs the nine, I bet and fold to a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop: fine. i dont fold aces even A2o getting over 5:1 and a strong possiblity of no bb riase (if bb was agro and table was aware i'd tighten my sb starting requirements, even w/ good pot odds)

flop: hate it. i really dont like a c'r here. its a saharah dry board w/ no straight or ANY kind of draw. c'ring gains you nothing and loses you lots when you are ahead and behind respectively. this is a very good spot for a check call on the flop, check call on the turn and re-evaluate the river.

w/ a2 i think i also would c'c the river.

once you c'r and its folded to the bettor then your turn fold is safe.

i just think the flop play negated your chance of seeing a cheap showdown, getting callers w/ desperate hands (very bad players still fold to c'rs but may call w/ KTo here or JTs w/ bd flush), and it opens you up to what happened.

anyways, not a huge deal since you were likely behind here. but i vastly prefer a c'c on the flop.

Barron
Old 09-03-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. even the fairly tight blind completion and defense standards of HPFAP state "any ace" in 1/2 structure.

Barron
Old 09-03-2005, 10:35 PM

i think once you flop check raise i see no need at all to bet the turn, why do you think this is ok?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think once you flop check raise i see no need at all to bet the turn, why do you think this is ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant the fold.

turn bet is bad b/c nothing else out there, UNLESS, villian is capable of layig down a better ace.

once he raises, clear fold

-Barron
Barron
Old 09-04-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is how I would play this:

Fold preflop. I hate dominated aces in the small blind with 37 limpers.

Check-raise flop. You don't want to let people call with middle pair and 5 outs for one bet.

Check-call turn. It's a way ahead/way behind situation and if I bet out I'm not comfortable folding to a raise from an unknown player here.

Bet river, fold to raise. You'll get "WTF?" calls from stuff like 44 which likely would've checked behind, and if you're raised you can profitably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the same way up to the turn but really like your river line more than my c/c one.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop: hate it. i really dont like a c'r here. its a saharah dry board w/ no straight or ANY kind of draw. c'ring gains you nothing and loses you lots when you are ahead and behind respectively. this is a very good spot for a check call on the flop, check call on the turn and re-evaluate the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the flop the same as you here. But I often find the turn play difficult. Assuming, button got no other callers besides you on the flop...he/she checks behind on the turn a lot. But I accept it because they often fold a non-Ace hand if I lead the turn. And I hope I get a call on the river from opponent's curiosity or opponent's making a second best pair. Doesn't create a big pot but it often seems the only way to get any more money out of opponent when I am ahead. Thoughts?
And if opponent bets a brick turn I'm not check-raising because it still seems to be a WAWB situation.