Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: In defense of weak-tight in NL cash games

My last post on this subject.

1) Please read my 'summary' post about 10 posts up.

2) I never said TPTK is something to go all in with.

3) Here is something from a previous post: This is No Limit. If you raise preflop with G1 and 2 hands and get popped--what then? Call and see a middle rainbow rag flop and fold?

How many chips (which eventually become stacks) do you want to waste preflop raising instead of calling?

4) You stated: "Just read any post where a good player is talking about another good player. It inevitably starts with "He raises, so he can have anything."

It can also be said "He flat calls preflop, so he can have anything on the flop..."

5) Anyone objectively reading all my posts in this thread will understand what I am saying. Agree or disagree. Use it or don't.

I have said all I am going to say for now.

Thanks all for reading and posting.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:35 AM

OK, you aren't posting more in this thread, so this will be my last (minor) post, too. Just wanted to clarify, in case anyone is reading this garbage, that of course you can have anything when you flat call. But when YOU raise, I know exactly what you have. When a good player raises, you STILL don't know what they have, because they raise a WIDE range of hands. OK, glad I could clear that up. Cheers.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:38 AM

I am not sure why your response took such a negative tone. I was simply saying that there are people out there who simply do this for FUN and also win. I play different types of strategies but have also found a place for a weak type strategy at the baby limits when the table dictates. I wasnt claiming any level of ability or anything to that affect. Again, I was simply saying that there are people who enjoy poker as much as anyone that have no interest, NEED, or desire to move up in limits, etc etc and as such can use a weak style AT TIMES and win at the baby limits. Of course, no one strategy will work in every situation and I never suggested it would.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:21 AM

I am not asking you to "buy anything". I actually have always assumed that if my winnings were translated to a win rate that it would be lower then what most of you hard core players achieve so I guess I am perplexed as to what you find so hard to believe.

I open up 4 tables of .10/.25 NL and buy in for $25 at each. I employ all of the strategies that we have all read about in the 2+2 and other books as the tables dictate. I also do not just exclude a weak style if the table conditions warrant(which is the only point I was ever trying to make). Then, a few hours later, I have $50-100 profit 20-25 out of 30 days and lose $10-$50 5-10 days. Win rates and other analysis aside, this is just how it has been going for me over 10 months. I really dont know what else to say nor do I care if its believeable or not. I have no interest in understanding if this win rate is good bad or otherwise cause I play for relaxation and winning has just been bonus as I dont even need the money.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:42 PM

Interesting. I find it more "relaxing" to play 1 table. When I'm trying to increase my earn/hour I multi-table. This is exactly opposite of your pattern, so I'm confused here as to your actual motives for playing.

I'm also confused as to why you're stating that [ QUOTE ]
I also do not just exclude a weak style if the table conditions warrant(which is the only point I was ever trying to make).

[/ QUOTE ]

So, your win figures are not tied to the "weak-tight" style at all. How are you doing when you are playing "weak-tight"? What I wasn't buying was your abilty to make that kind of money with that kind of style.

Or are you just bragging off-topic?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:16 PM

Full Ring
Old 02-04-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I open up 4 tables of .10/.25 NL and buy in for $25 at each... Then, a few hours later, I have $50-100 profit

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, lets try some maff

being VERY generous 4 tables @50h/hr = 200h/hr
3hrs = 600 hands total. $100/.25 = 400BB
400BB/600h = 66.7BB/100
That means you're at least three times as profitable as the next best SSNL posters on this site. congrats.

you =

well, i'll let others do the math there

fim
Old 02-04-2005, 04:33 PM

Playing one table was boring. Nothing more to it then that.

Well, I am not sure what you are asking when you say my win figures are not tied to the weak-tight style? I play weak tight some of the time if I feel it will work at a particular table. So to some extent, this style contributes to my winnings and I imagine there are times when it contributes to my losses. Is there some way to determine how much you win or lose in each style of play if one assumes that a player switches gears many times through out a session? If so, let me know how and I would be glad to try to estimate it.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:41 PM

I am still not sure why you have taken such a negative tone with me. All I was ever trying to say was that there are times when using a weak style can be effective if at the right in the right cicumstances.

As far as your math on my win rate, I simply dont know what to say. What I described it what I do and what occurs. There is no more to it then that. I mean we are not talking about huge amounts of money here. I do have a question though. Doesnt the fact this is NL affect the calculation you come up with of 66.7BB/hour. I mean you divide by .25 which is the BB but since its NL I would think using this divisor is artifically low making the win rate you calculate artifically high. I dont really pay attention to calculations like this so I am sure you are right but to me NL makes a difference. I look at it a bit simplier. I need to make $5 per hour per table to make $60 in 3 hours. This in my opinion is far from out of the ordinary or impressive or anything. Somewhere you have misinterpreted my posts as bragging or something I think when all along I have assumed I was winning a rate that was far from great. $5 per hour on a NL table does not seem that crazy to me. If it is to you then i dont know what to say, cause it is what I am doing.