Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Stars $10 rebuy hand

After the rebuy period. 6 players from the money. I really only care about the final table. Blinds are 1500/3000, ante 175. I have ~22K after posting my BB, which is below average, but almost certainly enough to coast into the money. I've got A6o in the BB. Button limps. SB completes. They both have me covered, but not by a whole lot (button has me covered by a couple thousand, SB by about 12K). I push in.

What do you think?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Stars $10 rebuy hand

To me this would be read dependent....is it weird for the button to limp. Does he not raise preflop very often? Is he a loose limper, is he capable of trapping by limping on the button? Has he raised 90% of the time it has been folded to him?
If this is SOP for the button, then I like the push...it adds 9k to your 22k stack with not much risk. I would guess that they both fold here 75% of the time. I like getting aggressive close to the bubble when your stack can damage theirs.
Nice play.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 PM

To push in a situation like this, I would require some reads on these players, if they have me covered. Also, I'd have to be able to guess their reads on me.

With no reads, this is a good move, but I think you may be in a lot of trouble if anyone calls, which is why I'd want a read on these guys saying they can lay down a marginal hand in this situation.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:15 PM

It's a little read-dependent on the button, but I like it. Seems to me like its a quick way to pick up some free chips. Im guessing it didn't work out that way.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:19 PM

I'm a bit confused by the all in. I know you only care about final table. But a bet half your stack - would seem to have the same effect. Maybe I'm just not big on the all in pre-flop push. What if a player was trying to limp/re-raise?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:21 PM

If he bets half his stack and somebody moves all-in he absolutely cannot fold. Any bet here pot-commits him, so he might as well move all-in.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit confused by the all in. I know you only care about final table. But a bet half your stack - would seem to have the same effect. Maybe I'm just not big on the all in pre-flop push. What if a player was trying to limp/re-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting he bet 50% of his stack, then fold to an all in??
I sure hope not.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:31 PM

your right - in re-reading my post it makes no sense.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:25 PM

I was actually watching this hand and felt I'd do the same. I feel how the hand proceeded was interesting btw.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Results/thoughts

I had moved to the table fairly recently, and I didn't feel like I had a good read on either player.

The button folded, and the SB turned over TT. No help and I am out.

I think my play is pretty standard (maybe a little aggressive with A6, but certainly with better aces and medium pairs I'm making this move), but I think the way the SB played TT was odd. In his situation, I would have pushed without a second thought. Obviously, it worked out perfectly for him here, but I can't help but wonder if I could have taken it with a flop bet (I don't recall the flop, but I think it had at least one face card in it); assuming of course, that the button didn't catch any of the flop either.

With ~7x the BB, I don't think I have any reasonable options here other than push or check.