Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

View Poll Results: ATE articles any good?
no 6 37.50%
yes 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 AM

Default session review time again

Hello all,

It's that time again. For the uninitiated, there's a long explanation here with links and such I'm too lazy to do again.

Last time, the process was:

1. send me a PM saying you would like to be included
2. wait
3. by Monday evening, I will send you two usernames - the one you will be reviewing, and your reviewer*
4. PM your email to the 2+2er you will be reviewing
5. email a recent session (<200 hands) to your reviewer
6. review the session you were sent and reply via email, PM, AIM, etc.
7. discuss

* The size of the pool got pretty unwieldly last time, so I ended up just posting the pairings in a new thread. 50 PMs was just a bit too much. I plan on doing the same this time.

At this point, I already have a few committed. Here's the list so far:

adsman
Guruman
numeri
Vincent
xwillience

If you're interested in joining again, just PM me. I'll take submissions until Monday evening. Just in case, send your level as well.

I'd also like to get your thoughts on the process. At this point, the primary questions seem to be:

1. Should we split by level of play? If there is an overwhelming response, we could do something like 0.5/1-2/4 and 3/6-5/10.

2. Videos? We might also consider including these somehow for those who are interested.

If there's some debate, maybe we can set up a poll. In general, people seem to be happy with the format, and now I'm just rambling so I'll stop.

Cheers,
~Dan

EDIT: PM your level(s), too - just in case.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: session review time again

i love reviewing the sessions of people that play at higher stakes than I do. It gives me a good look at what I can expect when I move up. I also like to test my analysis of how to play people at those levels.

I also don't mind having people below my level critique my play. If its undefendable then its undefendable.

I'm not perfect. I just try to play that way. (I suck at that though) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 PM

Let me further the discussion about pairing by levels. I know there are mixed feelings about this, so lets do a poll and see if anyone responds.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM

I voted for split into the 2 levels, though I actually prefer splitting into the precise levels. My fear, though, is that it'll be too hard for you to make sure 5/10 players only review and get reviewed by other 5/10 players, etc.

There are good and bad players at all levels. And I'm sure I can learn from everyone. But frankly, I'd much rather be do this with people who are playing pretty similar levels.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:44 PM

I don't like the split idea much. If you're going to do it, having the two levels is much better than individual pairings, but I don't think it accomplishes much. I'm at 5/10 now but I can certainly use critique from a 1/2 player, even if he or she has just started. It's always nice to have someone who's so focused on the fundamentals. I mean, sure, everyone wants a review where the focus is on third-level thinking and value betting your opponent, etc etc. But the basic stuff is crucial too, and easy to take for granted if you're 4-tabling on autopilot.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM

I found last week's session reviews to be incredibly useful in that they made me spend some time thinking about hands in more depth than I usually do, and I want to thank numeri for organizing these reviews.

I don't like the idea of splitting the reviews by level. For one thing, the levels that we play at are only a crude approximation of ability. I am currently trying to move up to Party 3/6, and am up slightly over a few thousand hands. Does that meant that I am a better player than someone who is beating 2/4? I don't think so. More importantly, I have played enough to know that I don't know very much about poker, and there is a lot that I can learn from talking to people playing 1/2 or .5/1.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:40 PM

I still have yet to hear from the person who was suppposed to be reviewing my hands from the last time we did this. Did this happen to anyone else?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM

I dunno, i guess it kind of sucks in a sense to have your hands reviewed by someone who is clueless.

Then again, you can't really exclude "beginners" from it as the whole point is to learn.

Anyhow im about to pm you saying IM IN.

I'd say split by levels, the game changes as you move up... indentify where it changes significantly and split.

Then again sites vary so someone playing 5/10 at absolute and someone playing 1/2 at UB.... may not be a whole lot different(bad example meh...).

POKhER.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:46 PM

Yeah, happened to me too. I also received no feedback from the person I reviewed, which would have been nice.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:47 PM

well I reviewed a session and they guy I reviewed never responded, and I felt like it was just a waste of my time. I dunno about this whole thing.