Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Strategy for unusual preflop situation

Hi,

I played an interesting game with some friends the other night. My friends know I am a pro but they decided to take me on anyways in a high-stakes game of 25/50 cent limit hold 'em.

My friends are smart, every one of them an MIT grad. Despite their mental acuity, they are poor poker players. This shouldn't be seen as any fault of theirs, it's simply that they haven't done the required reading yet.

Despite my friends' poor play and the small stakes, they are certainly trying to beat me. Every player in our 5 handed game wants to end the night a winner.

Now, to even out the game, and perhaps to taunt my friends a bit, I start messing around and showing one card preflop. Every hand, I pick a random card and turn it face up before anyone acts. Play continues like this all night.

So, the question is... what strategy changes should you make to exploit this? We're playing 5-handed with two 25 cent blinds. Are you raising my blind with any two cards? How much difference does it make to you what my up card is? What would you do if I showed an ace and raised from the CO? What if you knew I hadn't looked at my down card when I did this?

-Eric
Old 06-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Strategy for unusual preflop situation

If you show an A and haven't looked at the other card, I'd put you on A2o (or worse!) as not knowing whether you hit a (second) pair will significantly reduce your winnings and increase your losses (all that apart from showing the A of course). (Note that the first card you see must be an ace as otherwise you did look at both cards.)
When you look at both your cards the edge is getting less, but still big imo. Cards with slightly negative EV (and there are many like that!) easily become +EV.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Strategy for unusual preflop situation

Are you really David Sklansky?