Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for becoming a better player

[ QUOTE ]
Just read Ed Miller GSIH and SSHE and you should be fine. But Jones will provide some help along the way too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-12-2005, 03:35 PM

It seems a lot of people at 2+2 say Phil Hellmuth is a terrible player, his book sucks, blah blah blah. If this is truly believed on this site, most of you have a thing coming to you. The game of poker is not all about Sklansky mathematics. Every god damn book recommended here is from 2+2, I swear this forum is on a payroll.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:09 PM

I think the forum's just full of fans bro.

Also - no one said Hellmuth sucks, they just said his book doesn't work for SSHE.

You're not the type that likes to read much eh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 PM

No one is denying that phill can play poker. 9 bracelets isn't all luck... His book is just poorly written and he just wasn't able to put his advice on paper as good as he wanted. Its just plain and simple poor advice for ssh.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:05 AM

Read SSHE first. Read it until you think you understand it. Then read HEPFAP once or twice. Then read SSHE a few more times. Then read HEPFAP a few times. Then you should be ready for TOP. Since this is B&M it wouldn't hurt to read Caro's Book of Tells after you read SSHE. Just because you've read a book and think you understand it there is nothing wrong with re-reading a book that you feel you are "beyond." Playing helps too.

LOL. I read TOP first and didn't understand anything. Then I read PPLTP and it seemed obvious (although I think his advice to not try to change too many things in your game at once was helpful, how do you know what changes are helping and which ones aren't if you make a lot of them?). I tried TOP again and still didn't understand anything. Next I read SSHE and read that a bunch of times (and I suddenly started having winning sessions regularly). Then I tried TOP again and I understood the words but didn't understand the concepts. Then I read HEPFAP and I learned a little (I thought it was quite similar to SSHE, almost too much so). Then I read SSHE again and I learned more than in any of my previous readings. Then I tried TOP again and found that I actually understood some of the concepts and their applications. Then I read HoH and it helped my tournament game dramatically (easily the best NL tournament book--I've also read SS, and a couple McEvoy and Cloutier books). I'm reading HEPFAP again and now I understand the subtler differences between it and SSHE. I'm excited to see what happens when I try TOP again. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] GL and read. The authors are trying to help prevent you from making mistakes that they've had to learn from the hard way.

For fun: The Bigest Game in Town by A. Alvarez and Positively Fifth Street by James McManus are both excellent.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, my progression was WLLHE (Jones), SSH (Miller), TOP (Sklansky), HEFAP (Sklansky).

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... I also liked Killer Poker by John Vorhaus. Really helps the mental aspect of the game.