Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Blind defense - Bringing a knife to a gun fight

Villain is 18/10/2.8
I know I sucked out here. The point is should I have been playing this hand at all? Is this a preflop fold or a flop fold?
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Blind defense - Bringing a knife to a gun fight

in my opinion, folding eights to a steal from the small blind is WEAK WEAK WEAK. and sometimes villains with VPIP 18 steal more than villains with 60, so some more reads would help.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:56 AM

So how would you have proceed here seeing this flop?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how would you have proceed here seeing this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this villain, raise the flop. Call a 3-bet &amp; fold the turn UI. If he just calls the flop raise &amp; checks the turn, bet the turn UI with the intention of taking a free showdown and fold to a c/r.

That's my normal line. Nothing wrong with varying your play, to include the line you took here. I just wouldn't try that turn raise too often--you fold the hands you beat &amp; are often called or 3-bet by the ones that beat you. I don't think you get him to fold 99-JJ or a Q often enough to justify it as a regular play.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:40 AM

I think this looks fine. A lot of guys cap any pocket pair from the SB. After the flop comes, your hand strength doesn't go down very much (although your hand value goes down a lot) because if your hand was good preflop it is often good after the flop. Some hands he might hold that like this flop are AQ, AK, and KQ. Other than that you are against some kind of PP or a nonpaired ace a lot of the time. I like your line on the turn because you can always fold to a 3 bet, and you can sometimes push out a hand like TT.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 AM

Preflop is good.

What to do after the flop is very dependent on reads and what has happened previously between the two of you. But you should realize that 88 compares favorably to Villain's hand range and play it accordingly.

If Villain's steal range is any ace, any pair and any two cards 9 or higher (a typical range for a TAG), your equity is 49% on the flop and 53% on the turn (Pokerstove percentages). Even if Villain's preflop cap narrows down this range somewhat you should not be afraid to play back here.

Raising the flop, calling the flop and raising the turn or simply calling down are all viable options.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:28 AM

you have to play this hand...the only debate preflop is call or raise

The rest of the hand depends on what you know about the villian. It's a player dependent thing. There is no standard IMO. Is there folding equity on a flop raise? Turn raise? Would he only come in for a raise with paint? What do you know about the villian? Try and get beyone the PT numbers...they are only the basics

Waiting for the turn is sweet, since a 3-bet means you're way behind (fold), a call makes him pay for crappy inside straights/overcard draws, and a fold is likely with ace-rag, small pocket pairs, and low suited connectors that missed.

You were checking the river without catching, right?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Hypothetical river...

Taking the same line you did in the hand how do you handle a river brick and a donk bet by Villain?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 AM

Preflop is definitely a 3-bet. He'll raise with a lot of junk here.

Now flop is a different story. He capped preflop annoucing his hand. Its likely this flop hit him and if it didn't he probably has a higher pocket pair. Our best hope is that he holds something like AJs or 77. I don't mind folding here at all.

Nice river.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 AM

Weird - I played the same hand last night w/ the same exact postflop action with 8's and also sucked out on the river after I raised a bottom card paired board on the turn. I was the one stealing though and the flop was KTx 2-toned. In retrospect I think maybe I should've folded the turn without a read because he probably has a flush draw far less often than top pair, and I don't know how much folding equity we have over middle pair vs. an unknown. Your play probably sucks less than mine because your opponent could have almost any 2 when he opens from the SB. I do think it's a raise or fold spot though.