Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Flop nut flush, play on river when worried about straight flush?

How would you handle the river? No reads on MP as it's early in the tourney. Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t2070)
BB (t1310)
UTG (t5965)
UTG+1 (t1205)
MP1 (t2180)
MP2 (t875)
CO (t1710)
Button (t615)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t60</font>, MP1 calls t60, Hero calls t60.

Turn: (t270) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200, BB folds.

River: (t670) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 09-24-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Flop nut flush, play on river when worried about straight flush?

push
Old 09-24-2005, 11:10 PM

you can't play scared of the straight flush.. taht's like having AA on a 555 board, you dont play scared of the quads, if they have it, so be it..

i'm still trying ot get all my chips in th emiddle here.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:12 PM

I think you are asking about the least relevant street this hand. I check raise the flop and without a doubt I raise the turn. These people will pay you off with many hands/draws, stop slowplaying!!!!!!!

The flop is the time to build a pot to suck them in with their top pairs/flush draws or whatever, we all know our opponents don't like to fold. Instead you go out of your way to keep the pot as small as possible to help them correctly fold later in the hand. What do you expect to happen later in this hand that will make them call your bets, where they wouldn't call earlier in the hand?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you are asking about the least relevant street this hand. I check raise the flop and without a doubt I raise the turn. These people will pay you off with many hands/draws, stop slowplaying!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm I dunno, I think the right play is to just call the flop bet.. lead turn to the tune of 30% or something smallish, hopefully someone will sense weakness and try to raise you out.. if not they'll probably call with something.. then same thing on river, hoping someone has the K of spades and wants to go along for the ride
Old 09-24-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm I dunno, I think the right play is to just call the flop bet.. lead turn to the tune of 30% or something smallish, hopefully someone will sense weakness and try to raise you out.. if not they'll probably call with something.. then same thing on river, hoping someone has the K of spades and wants to go along for the ride

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and how about extracting some money from top pair/king of spades on the flop by actually putting some money in the pot? So many people on this forum have a serious case of slowplaying disease.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:19 PM

yea you have to raise turn or flop
Old 09-24-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and how about extracting some money from top pair/king of spades on the flop by actually putting some money in the pot? So many people on this forum have a serious case of slowplaying disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course getting money into the pot is the main objective, but you can do it gradually instead of all in one street to ensure you get max value.. say he raises to 180, maybe everyone folds on that danger flop, maybe someone calls, really depends on the level of play, but I just wouldn't want to lose anybody.. and yes, I have SPS (Slow play syndrome), it's a disease and it can't be fixed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 11:57 PM

I agree with most posters here. I think I played this hand pretty weak. In retrospect, I'm thinking I should have check raised the turn to build the pot.

As far as not worrying about the straight flush here as if it's something you should never think about (like higher set vs. lower set, if you're beat you're beat) is a little wreckless IMO on this board.

My thinking was, if he had KsQx he would have reraised the BB's bet on the flop to see where he was at. (Or at least I would have). After his turn bet, I'm thinking pairs with a spade from 99's to 77's possibly as well as KsQx.

I'm not one to worry about monsters under the bed, but the Kspades is the only other logical spade I can beat here, besides 8s and lower.

Would you bet the river in EP? If so, and check raised all in, what would you do?
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 AM

your best play in this spot is to make the action on the flop

a) online players are full of hope. It springs eternal for them. In this spot if they have a spade paint card, they are geniunely excited about their flush draw. If they have top pair/spade kicker, they will also enjoy their position.

b) if you play the flop hard, people wont give you credit for having the flush, as they also are infected with FPS, and assume that you would play it a lot slower with the nuts

c) Given b)... people with top pair/set are coming along for the ride. Get their chips in the middle at the earliest spot, when they have 2 cards to come. Hope breeds optimism, and optimism breeds expectancy.

With 2 cards to come, they *expect* to make whatever hand they are hoping for. With 1 card or NO cards to come, they *know* whether or not they have made their hand.. make them pay while they are hoping, not trying to do it when they know all there is to know about there hand

The final problem, is that a turn card can come that will either be an action killer for them (if a 4th spade comes and they DONT have a spade) or for you (if the board pairs).. then you will be sweating (albeit not overly) a boat.

Play to the internet players weaknesses, not your strengths.

oh, and lastly, if they all do fold on the flop, you can console yourself with the fact that they most likely wont have had a hand that would pay you off much on later streets.