Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Default I broke 80 for the first time - Yay!

On a business trip to Denver last week I played the Park Hill golf club. I got a late start (after 4:00) and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish 18, but after a 39 on the front (one bird, four pars, four bogeys) I had to try.

I've broken 40 for nine many times, but I've never been able to follow it up with a superb (for me) back nine. But my drives were going straight (my biggest problem) and I was dropping putts from all over, so I figured I had a good a chance as ever.

I got into trouble right away on 10 with a bad drive, but a terrific long approach & two putting from about 60ft and I was on my way. Coming to 18 (540yd par 5) I "knew" I needed a par for 79. After a good drive and second shot, I was left with an 80 yard approach. Despite my nervousness, I plopped it to within 20 feet. The birdie putt was six inches short and the tap in in the ever darkening dusk gave me a 79 - or so I thought. It turns out the back is a par 35 (I was, apparently, too focused to even notice 18 was the only par 5 on the back), so I really had a 78.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm really happy with finally breaking this barrier. I've improved from a 95-105 player ten years ago down to 85-90 average today. I've had one 80 (missed a 79 by inches) a couple of 81s, and one 35 (even par) on an out-of-my-mind league night round, with no chance of finishing the 18 [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Just thought I'd share. I encourage you to do likewise here...
--
Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: I broke 80 for the first time - Yay!

congrats dude. It's a nice feeling isn't it?

Now you get to spend the rest of your life trying to recapture it.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 05:00 PM

You get a two-stroke penalty for posting this in the wrong forum, so you're back to 80. Sorry.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM

I just made in my shorts! Yay!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 PM

Congrats! I've managed to break 80 twice. The funny thing is, both times I didn't know what I needed on the final hole. I knew I was shooting a good round, but didn't know how good. I'm glad, not sure I want to know what would have happened if I knew on the 18th tee that I needed par!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:07 PM

Park Hill Golf Club
Tee <font color="green"> Yards </font> Rating <font color="green"> Slope </font>
Back <font color="green"> 6675 </font> 70.0 <font color="green"> 123 </font>
Middle <font color="green"> 6433 </font> 68.6 <font color="green"> 118 </font>

Very respectable 78, which tees?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21 PM

The middle. 6400 is on the long side for middle tees, but not in Denver, of course. I definitely noticed the difference - about one full club.
--
Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You get a two-stroke penalty for posting this in the wrong forum, so you're back to 80. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably just a flame, but I actually thought about which forum would be most appropriate. You think "Sporting Events" is better, yes? It was close in my mind, but most of the posts over there seemed to be related more to "Events" with a capital 'E', if you take my meaning. I'll stick by my original choice and turn in the 78.
--
Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Very nice job.

I broke 80 this year for the first time also. Been playing off and on since I was 9 (28 years), but didn't really pick up the game seriously till I was about 20.

Two 79's this year, within about a week of each other, but on a relatively flat muni course.

Then the next week, I shot 35 on the front and was even on the back going into 16. At this point, they guy I am paired up with (never met him before), turns to me a says...

"Hey...Aren't you even on the back?"

Poof. Yes dude, I was even on the back...till you said something and I proceeded to go double-bogey, bogey, double-bogey to finish with an 80.

lol....stupid ass game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 05:28 PM

Congrats. First time I broke 80 the 18th hole was a par-5 and I nervously dumped my approach in the bunker. Had to get up and down the for 79.

Shooting a number of nine holers in the 30s...now is the time to move to the back tees.