Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Playing from Behind on the Flop

I have a general question about play on the flop when you hit middle/bottom pair or have overcards. Let's say for simplicity there are three other callers and you who all just call an unraised pot. You're playing a hand with some value like Axs or maybe J9s and you hit, but not something you can feel comfortable with. If you don't have a big draw (like a pair and straight/flush draw), and someone bets out the pot what are the appropriate conditions for you to call to go ahead and try to hit an overcard or your kicker?

I know this is pretty vague, so let's say four caller to the flop and the following situations:

You have: Ac8c
Flop: Js8h6d

OR

You have: KsJs
Flop: 3s5dTc

Assuming the guy betting is an okay player what makes this hand playable? I almost always (like 99.9% of the time) lay this down without a second thought, but I was wondering if it's ever right to play hands like this? As a final consideration, how much does it matter if you could turn a flush or straight draw? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Playing from Behind on the Flop

[ QUOTE ]

I know this is pretty vague, so let's say four caller to the flop and the following situations:

You have: Ac8c
Flop: Js8h6d

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are SB or BB, fold pre-flop. If there are four players and you are SB/BB (first to act in most cases) I lead.

[ QUOTE ]

OR

You have: KsJs
Flop: 3s5dTc

Assuming the guy betting is an okay player what makes this hand playable? I almost always (like 99.9% of the time) lay this down without a second thought, but I was wondering if it's ever right to play hands like this? As a final consideration, how much does it matter if you could turn a flush or straight draw? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't, check-fold.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 PM

In late position with two callers you don't call with Axs? I think a call is at least in order, maybe a raise, with a hand like this.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM

I fold most of hte time.

if I believe flop raiser is tight, I call, planning to take away on later street. This rarely is the case though.