Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2002, 09:26 AM

Default Poker Books

Iam considering purchasing The Psychology of Poker by A.Schoonaker. Has anyone read it? Is it any good in terms of good reading AND helpful in winning? Please don't say it's a must read unless you really think so.....

I have read HPFAP, and Holdem Poker, Ken Warrens and Gary Carson's books. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I only play Holdem and only 5-10 limit and sometimes lower and feel that strategically, I don't need to read anymore books for the level I play at......whenever I have questions, I just post here.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Poker Books

"The Pyschology of Poker" and "Inside the Poker mind" are two of the most important books you will ever read to suppliment your strategy.
If you also haven't read "Theory of Poker", you're missing out on THE most important book ever written on Poker.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:06 AM

NY,
Thanks for your input. Are the 2 pysch books good reading? and do u you they help in a normal 5-10 ring game? From their titles, I was thinking they may be more for serious advanced players , maybe tournament type players.....I'm just assuming.
I wasn't considering Theory of Poker because I read the summary on it and it is about all forms of poker like 7CS,Omaha etc......I only play Holdem. Am I wrong in thinking it may confuse my play more than help it?
Old 10-26-2002, 11:21 AM

Hey Slim, I don't know about the Psych books, but TOP is a must have, in my opinion. I think the beauty of it is that it isn't a cookbook on how to beat one particular game, but rather it discusses the game of poker as a whole. It teaches you how to think about situations and use certain tactics regardless of what type of poker you are playing.

-- Homer
Old 10-26-2002, 12:20 PM

Both psych books are well worth reading and will help at all limits. I think you will see Schoonmakers book to be somewhat more directly applicable and easy to put to use in the games you play. The Feeney book is less methodical so is maybe more entertaining reading. But it applies and will help a lot if you ever move up or your games get tougher. TOP is absolutely required reading. Just read it. No, just buy it, then read it, then study it. You are not thinking right if you think TOP will confuse you. To the contrary, it will clarify or focus your thinking on other games and books. I bet you a cold adult beverage you will understand concepts in the other books you have read way better after reading TOP.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:58 PM

You might find our book ("Middle Limit Holdem Poker" by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier) helpful in analyzing specific holdem situations. We have over 400 holdem problems where we lay out a situation and ask you what you would do. We then tell you what we would do. You might find that comparing our rationale with your own would be instructive.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:47 PM

I also play primaraly Hold 'em, and yes these books will help at any limit. As you develop your game more, they will also be a huge help in moving up limits and playing other forms of poker.
As other posters have pointed out, you need to study them.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:21 PM

I agree Jim Brier's book will be a good addition to your poker library. On a side note Jim I appreciate all the posts you make here, your polite manner and all the time you take to respond to anyones' questions. On a side not Jim, keep posting in dollars and not bets! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I agree with your logic on this one.

Jimbo
Old 10-27-2002, 02:10 AM

The most important contribution that the two psych books have made to my game were internal. They helped me understand the reasoning behind the moves I made, as well as the moves made by my opponents. because I was able to see the plays from their point of view, I found myself much less likely to steam, and much more likely to consider the range of opponents reactions to the moves I made. kind of a how-to book to higher level poker thinking.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:19 PM

Have not read their book yet but plan to order it. Just wanted to add that the most helpful item yet for me is Jim's articels in the cardplayer.com. He lays out 10 hands and you test your knowledge, and then gives you his take on the action required. Don't always agree, but adverse to some who try to take him apart on this web site, it is his reasons and he put them in print. Go take all the test, will help you a ton. If the book is as good it will also be a must read.